Thread: esc research....explanation needed

esc research....explanation needed

dr young one of the most annoying excuses over the years is more animal research is needed. animals this animals that animals animal animals. we cant use schwann, because its used for animal trials. so why are esc skipping animals?
    bush didnt restrict rat esc research?
    so why not build a case for esc by curing rats. then we would know esc could most likely cure ppl.
    why do you need human esc, if your just gonna do more animal trials? unless scientist will use e human for rats for research.

DA, the case has been and is being made with animal studies. Many positive reports of the beneficial effects of embryonic stem cells in animal brain and spinal cord injury have already been reported. As you and I have pointed out, there is no restriction on the use of embryonic stem cells in animal studies. The difficulty is the restriction on the use of human embryonic stem cells. I don't want to do just animal studies. For example, if we wanted to do an human embryonic stem cell study in lumbosacral spinal cord injury (where neuronal replacement would be desirable), we cannot currently do it easily in the United States, and certainly not with NIH funds. It will take time to build up the number of human embryonic stem cell line that can be tissue-matched for human use. During the past four years, if NIH were allowed to do the science, I think that we would be much farther ahead today.

Wise.

can you come close to curing sci animals using animal esc?

what is a human embryonic stem cell study in lumbosacral spinal cord injury? be specific.

Dr. Young, Why is the NIH allowed to give millions of US tax dollars to the University of Ottawa for stem cell research? Would you like for me to send you document stating this fact?

Also, if scientists know how to give als to rats, why can't they cure it?

Two unanswerable questions?

Thank you for your untiring devotion to the hundreds of questions you are asked.

Dr. Young, I feel I should have with held my prior comments from earlier today. I have just made the connection between you and Christopher Reeve and my heart aches for what kind of day you must have had and for his family. I first heard the news in the middle of the night and could not go back to sleep. I felt like our crusader was gone, who would fight our fight? But, I realize that we still have you to carry on. You are a big part of that strength that CR was able to muster. This knowledge will help carry us through our travels to Beijing the end of this month. We do have hope and we must go all the way.