Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for Nerve Pain / Neuropathic Pain

My husband takes Xanax for the burning (nerve pain). As the last poster said, (diazepam), It's similar. All benzos seem to work. It was literally like a life saver in the way of pain. Not so much in other areas of life. Unfortunately they are addictive, and you will build a tolerance over time (need more to work). I don't know if I'd recommend it or not. But it works. We didn't really want involved with it either, but, when you're burning alive..... it seemed like we had no other choice. He's been on it for 4 years or so. It's hard to find a doc (here ) who wants to prescribe it. It should be treated with respect and used only when absolutely necessary. We've tried Lyrica, and lots of other things, including Oxycodone. But they did nothing for the burning. Benzos work. Good luck. My heart aches for all of you guys who have to deal with this.

Diazepam works for me as a night time med to put me out but if we have a weather front come thru then it may not work for me at all and I will be up tossing in turning in burning hell, Alot of nights I only sleep as long as the meds are active.
    I have never heard of anyone taking oxycodone for neuropathic pain , it's to my understanding those type of meds are uneffective on neuro pain.

We have to bring some serious awareness because I tell you the truth.. I actually been discriminated since being paralyzed especially from doctors. Its been my experience and I am guessing the status of race, insurance and lack of care for S.C.I.. I have rely on God to change my thoughts from causing chaos against oppressors.. I know others feel the same but stay strong...
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Do any of you have constipation with your neuropathy?
    Female, T9 incomplete

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Do any of you have constipation with your neuropathy?
    Yes. Find less constipation definitely helps.

Just started taking amitiza for the constipation, so far so good, also taking daily psyllium husk, prune juice, prunes, citrucel.

I have constipation, but it is from opiod meds and not neuropathy directly. I take stool softeners daily and have to add in a dose of myralax every few days.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    That's what happened to me, too, MikeRobinson. While in the hospital, right after my accident, they had me on opioids,...and lots of other things that I was too "out of it" to question. After a couple of weeks, bam, the neuropathy started. The first day, it was from my knees down. By the next day, the neuropathy was from my thighs down. And by the third day, it was like it has stayed,...from my lower tummy down. Caveat: One leg is amputated above the knee, but it still "feels" the neuropathic pain. I can't get rid of the neuropathic pain, but I noticed that it worsens to the point of making me miserable when I'm at all constipated, but lessens so that I can mostly ignore it when I'm not constipated.
    Female, T9 incomplete

I have had some success taking a dose of Motrin, 800mg every 6 hours with milk to coat the stomach. On bad days, take that along with hydrocodone. Really miserable to live with. Just don't know how or, why this occurs. Same place, same pain. Mine, like bolts of lightening in waves.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Bad days only valium helps. Good days some exercise helps me ignore it. For me it's constant but ranges from a relatively mellow thrumming of pins and needles to a sensation of burning glass being ground into my flesh.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

I've been on OxyContin and oxycodone for break thru for five years with the same doctor. I have taken radom drug tests thru all that time and had no problems at all, when I have a really bad day I drink no more than two beers and it cuts the pain to almost Zero the beer works for a couple of hours I eat dinner and go to bed, bad days only happen an average of once a week. Last week I had a random pee test and failed my doctor flew off the handle and threatened to fire me as a patient. It was two and a half days since I had a beer. Am I crazy to feel a little annoyed about this?