Thread: Coughing Up Phlegm

Coughing Up Phlegm

What are total parts of body - organs, nerves, muscles - that are involved in coughing up phlegm?
    What is the mechanism? What plays the major role? What renders impetus?

not sure, but remember them telling me in 1978 i had to do whatever to get it up
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

To ocugh up phlegm adequately you need your thoracic, and abdominal muscles, as well as your intercostals and your diaphragm. The mechanisms is force from below to out! That is a simple and pretty much all you need to know- the fancy medical terms aren't needed.
    So if that isn't possible you need adaptations-i.e. medications that will open airways, devices to assist your with cough or learn to do or have caregiver give an assisted cough, and suctioning if all this doesn't clear it to prevent pneumonia.
    CWO

As i know, for controlling diaphragm, phrenic nerve is mainly used. For intercostals, so intercostal nerves. But what nerves control the so-called thoracic and abdominal muscles. I want to know as i may do surgery involving peripheral nerves that i don't know yet.