Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping hair out of caster bearings

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    That is hair is SO GROSS if I think about it- stranger's hair!!!!
    Anyways, thanks for the idea & pic. I'll see if my husband wants to try it on my wheels.
    My wife's caster hair accumulation is, sadly, much worse than mine. I did her casters a few days ago, and plan to take them apart around Nov 1 and post a report. Send me a private message if you or your husband have any questions. I got a lot smarter doing hers which came with some new tricks of their own.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

The experiment was a failure. A disassemble this morning found a good amount of hair in the bearings. So I am trying again with a smaller washer that just covers the bearing seal, but no 0.015" spacer. There is less space between the bearing and the washer.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Oh everyone now I need a little help. I finally broke down and cleaning all the hair and fibers out of my front casters... Now, when my chair is sitting the front right caster is just off the ground. Of course when I transfer into my chair and put weight on it-- it hits the ground no problem and it seems like there is more of a wobbling effect of my chair in general frame wise.... I have checked pressure in both rear wheels and it is even, both front casters are positioned correctly, and all axles are locking correctly. Any ideas on what to adjust? Never had this problem in over 10 years...... Suggestions please!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Ha, ha - that's a funny image. Thanks for the smile
    Last edited by RosieMB; 03-27-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Seems I replied by mistake to the wrong post and it seems as if I was laughing at someone's misfortune. Sorry I am brand new

Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    Oh everyone now I need a little help. I finally broke down and cleaning all the hair and fibers out of my front casters... Now, when my chair is sitting the front right caster is just off the ground. Of course when I transfer into my chair and put weight on it-- it hits the ground no problem and it seems like there is more of a wobbling effect of my chair in general frame wise.... I have checked pressure in both rear wheels and it is even, both front casters are positioned correctly, and all axles are locking correctly. Any ideas on what to adjust? Never had this problem in over 10 years...... Suggestions please!
    It sounds like you have a floating caster. Tilite manuals show how to adjust out floaters. It requires adjusting the footrest heights on each side
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by RosieMB View Post
    Ha, ha - that's a funny image. Thanks for the smile
    When you reply to a thread yours will be posted at the bottom, they're kept in order of the time they were posted. If you want to reply to a specific post, click the "quote" button in the box for that post and the one you're replying to will be reposted at the top of the reply like I did here.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks Chas! They are both even, but I am going to try adjusting just in base my eyeballing it is not working! But is is indeed a floating caster.....If I can't get it corrected today, I am going to have our PT guys at the hospital adjust it. I just could not bear to ask them to clean the gross dog hair out!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.