Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping hair out of caster bearings

Keeping hair out of caster bearings

Did an experiment to try and keep hair out of my caster bearings. My forks are spaced at 1 3/4 inches, with a 1" caster width and two 3/8" spacers. Put a 11.4 mm spacer between the 608 bearings (to give 1 inch width across the bearings), a 0.015" hard nylon shim on the outside of the bearing, then 1 1/4" stainless steel fender washers and 8 mm spacers.

The fender washers and thin nylon shims came from the hardware store. I got my other spacers from a variety of places, but discovered aluminumspacers dot com late in the game. It has everything you might want for the spacers, and is reasonably priced.

I trimmed the nylon shims, originally about 3/4" outside diameter, to about 1/2" outside diameter to match outside diameter of the inner race of the bearing. Without trimming the shim rubbed the bearing seal and I could not completely tighten down the bearing shaft.

A photo showing the caster with the fender washer, taken after about two weeks use, is attached. There is some hair, but disassembly showed none in the bearing. The other, bare, caster bearing was loaded with hair.

Anyone else tried anything like this?
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I haven't tried it, but it seems to be working quite well for you. Great idea!! and great close-up picture quality!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Whew, I thought you were going to suggest I shave what little hair is left on my head and also shave the cats and dogs I have.

I like to periodically give the little hair doughnuts back to my wife as a reminder that, even though I might track in some dirt and sand on my chair, at least I am helping with picking up loose hairs!

Seriously, i've shaved my head a few times, but not to keep hair out of there. More because I was POed. Dirt, hair and anything else gets in there just because they are so close to the gound.

Everyone should shave their head once in their life.

Even women.

Because it is incredible.

Unitine forks and forget hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Everyone should shave their head once in their life.

Even women.

Because it is incredible.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Unitine forks and forget hairs.
    Really? What difference does the unitine fork make with respect to hair buildup, or is it just on one side?

That is hair is SO GROSS if I think about it- stranger's hair!!!!
    Anyways, thanks for the idea & pic. I'll see if my husband wants to try it on my wheels.