View Poll Results: If you had stage three cancer and could "maybe" have five more years...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would fight it

22 45.83%
  • I wouldn't fight it

26 54.17%
  • I have fought/am fighting it

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were told you had stage three cancer

If you were told you had stage three cancer

and that with intense chemo and radiation you might squeeze out five more years, would you fight it?

I clear here, I'm just putting it out there. But, for the record, I wouldn't.
    And the truth shall set you free.

It's all about the fight but sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you fight!

but you gotta fight... it's all about the fight

I recently had a cystoscopy and we saw some weird looking growths on the side of the bladder, the urologist was very concerned and wanted to do a biopsy, but had a pathology test done on a urine sample but found no cancer in the test, I'm scheduled for followups in the future.
    I told my girlfriend I'm not taking out my bladder or doing chemo or radiation unless it is very minimal, not scared of dying but my daughter is 11 and I have to live long enough to get her into college so she is out of her alcoholic mothers grasp, she actually would prefer to live with my sister or my girlfriend, but until she's of age the courts would make her stay with her mother, which would be a nightmare for her. If the only way I could live long enough to accomplish that would be to do the chemo or radiation, I would go for the treatment.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I would, and did. Melanoma survivor, a few years out. I've gone from the 15% population to the 99% population, in likely survivability. Still getting hacked on every six months, but what are you gonna do? Lie around and die?!? Don't get me wrong, clutching to life is no way to die, or to live, either. But, I think life's greatest opportunities are still accessible up until up we draw our last breath. Dying conflicted, knowing that the life being left behind is a poor representation of my potential, as an entity, is my idea of going to Hell. Living conflicted, with an inner influence that I neglect to nurture in my patterns of thought, and by necessity, not therefor represented in my actions, is my idea of Hell on Earth.

Striving for synchronicity between my influences, my thoughts, and my actions (e.g. The Spirit - Mind - Body trinity) is my idea of how to cultivate a good life, and set myself up for a more pleasant death, no matter it's circumstances, or timing.

The weight of our conscience is a burden when passing on, a very painful burden, IMO, and the dividing line between Heaven and Hell...both in life and death.

Follow your ideals, whatever they may be, and you can be assured a less fearful death.

Fight? Don't fight? For me, the right answer is the one that is the closest representation of the alignment of your ideals to your ideas to your action. Possibly, but not necessarily, different yet equally valid, for all.

(eta: chose the wrong poll response)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

[QUOTE=DaleB;1585155]I would, and did. Melanoma survivor, a few years out. I've gone from the 15% population to the 99% population, in likely survivability. Still getting hacked on every six months, but what are you gonna do? Lie around and die?!? Don't get me wrong, clutching to life is no way to die, or to live, either.

QUOTE]

It makes a difference on the type of cancer and the recovery, if you are in agony and life is a living hell to gain a few years, it may not be worth it, seen too many people prolong their lives to live in misery, how desperate do we have to be to cling to life? If you can have treatment that allows you to have quality of life, that's different. I Have lots of plans, selling my river boat to buy a pontoon boat, setting up my vw doka for camping, going to Trieste Italy next year, life is still good, but if life meant getting treatments every several months being sick all the time, what is a couple years of misery compared to a year of health with deterioration at the end.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

5 years is a long time to have. A family friend was having back pain 2 months ago, went to Dr, is gone already, cancer everywhere. It's crazy.

5 years would get me to my son turning 17, so most likely yes. But if they were having to care for me, no.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Mom! Dad! I'm coming!
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

As I have no dependents and my SO is financially secure I would let nature take it's course.

.......... and let's face it there's not much chance of lasting five years.

Why is it always five years?

If you had asked a year ago I'd have answered differently. Since then, everybody's gone and I had the distinctly mixed blessing of watching Dad hang on for that mythical 5.

At least he didn't die of cancer...he died of radiation.

I'm still hoping for that bullet in the back of the head as I pull out $$ for a fabulous vacation. My assassin is welcome to the cash. Jake's exit looked painless but I have no idea how it was orchestrated.

I'm glad Dad hung as we resolved some issues and said a lot of "I love you's". But that's me being selfish; the man was miserable.