Thread: How do you carry your cased and uncased rifle?

How do you carry your cased and uncased rifle?

Alright shooters, how do you carry your long guns when you're transporting them? Cased and uncased. Pics speak 1000 words.

I am thinking, when the rifle is cased, I could fit the butt end of the case with some kind of pin or rubber shoe that will go on my foot plate and won't slip off, and then bungee the case around my knees. I think, with it riding vertically like that in front, it will be a little taller than my head, and I'll still be able to carry stuff on my lap.

The tougher one is when it is out of the case. I thought about doing the same thing, with the rifle unloaded, and bolt open. I don't like that idea though, it's really not a safe practice.

I could lay it across my lap, but that has the same problems as above. and would be less secure. Even if the rifle is safe and clear, obviously I don't want to drop my nice accurate, well-maintained piece!

TL;DR how do you carry rifles? send pix.

For cased, perhaps a crutch holder. They make them to fit most wheelchairs (as an accessory).

or an oxygen tank holder:

(KLD)

I carry a shotgun for trap shooting. When near or on the range I just open the breech of over and under and carry across my lap - quite secure and the open breech shows it's a safe gun. When transporting from van to clubhouse to range I keep gun in soft case w butt resting on footrest and case between my knees. I use a velcro strap (amazon.com, purchased in a reel) which has hook and loop on one side soft material on other, the strap is wound through handles on the soft case, over my knee and secured at top of down tubes tightly. This setup is very secure.

ancientgimp describes what I thought I would do.

It's more of a process to secure something to your back, and it means I can't wear a backpack. I guess out in front with velcro or bungees is the way to go.

4-wheeler rifle scabboard if traveling any distance, one can gain quick access if needed otherwise Velcro. Open breach could invite debris in action leaves etc.. I am dog tired tonight but will get you a photo asap if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    4-wheeler rifle scabboard if traveling any distance, one can gain quick access if needed otherwise Velcro. Open breach could invite debris in action leaves etc.. I am dog tired tonight but will get you a photo asap if you like.
    please do!