Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New TR3

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    . . . Not thrilled with the ADI mods.
    Why not?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

First, let me say that it is my bad for not detailing changes up front...

1) They modify the hub, that said, I believe it is reversible
    2) They replaced the stock camber tube with the own; who knows how heavy it is...
    3) The chair rocks when brakes are applied
    4) I moved the chair the other day and it appears the brakes need adjusting already.
    5) One wheel doesn't appear tight to the hub...maybe that is true from Ti too, I haven't checked...my surrent chair feels solid side-to-side

To be fair, I have only spent 10 minutes in the chair.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Questions about your ADI brakes

First of all, congratulations on your new chair.

I am also hesitant about the hub/camber changes with ADI brakes. Excuse the pun, but it seems like you are pretty much locked in once you get them.

I know they modify the camber tube, but I thought it was your own tube just cut shorter?

We have another set of Spinergys (same size) and it kind of stinks that I could not swap them out if we were short on time (which is most of the time;-)

Adjustments and maintenance also have me concerned. There are times I am not as delicate with equipment as I should be, and I would hate to be adjusting them all the time. Your's need adjustment only after moving the chair???

2) They replaced the stock camber tube with the own; who knows how heavy it is...
    4) I moved the chair the other day and it appears the brakes need adjusting already.
    5) One wheel doesn't appear tight to the hub...maybe that is true from Ti too, I haven't checked...my surrent chair feels solid side-to-side

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    First of all, congratulations on your new chair.

I am also hesitant about the hub/camber changes with ADI brakes. Excuse the pun, but it seems like you are pretty much locked in once you get them.

I know they modify the camber tube, but I thought it was your own tube just cut shorter?

We have another set of Spinergys (same size) and it kind of stinks that I could not swap them out if we were short on time (which is most of the time;-)

Adjustments and maintenance also have me concerned. There are times I am not as delicate with equipment as I should be, and I would hate to be adjusting them all the time. Your's need adjustment only after moving the chair???

Thank you.

Yes, this is where I was foolish and should have done some research; I believe I can reverse what they have done, but it will be a costly mistake, not to mention the hassle if I do. I had a vision of the positives and it clouded any other judgement.

I think they do, or did, modify the existing camber tube. They either changed doing that or they at least did for mine, as they sent me my stock camber tube.

Having not used them, I don't know how often adjustments would be needed, I would tend to think not often as they are bike brakes.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I investigated ADI brakes awhile back. I was impressed with them, but decided I didn't need/want all their capabilities. I offer my opinions FWIW:

1) I think removing the spline would be challenging.

3) any kind of hub-actuated lock will allow some rocking on spoked wheels. It's from inherent play in the spokes. (I suspect mag wheels wouldn't rock much.)

4) any disc brake system will need frequent adjusting when it's new. The pads need setting; the cables need stretching. After some initial use (a month or so) they should settle in. And, unlike a bicycle where applying the new brakes doesn't turn you, applying new brakes on a wheelchair will be annoying (especially single-lever actuation) because the two sides won't settle in exactly together, thus turning the chair until they settle in. On a car, the brakes are linked in an X pattern (left font to right rear), so uneven pull is less noticeable (and for safety).

5) I have almost always tweaked installation of components installed by others. I'm just fussy that way.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 10-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Nature of the beast with any brake/lock that locks at the hub. If you watch what's rocking you'll notice the hubs stay perfectly stationary, the "rock" occurs because of the flex of the spokes. It is possible to increase the spoke tension to minimize the play.. You will get used to it, in time you will trust them.

fwiw every guy I know with them (ADI disc brakes) comes to love them once they are set-up and they are relatively trouble-free. Just be careful getting the chair in and out of the car and harp on the baggage handlers when getting out of it to get on an airplane. Let them know it's better if they don't remove the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    . . .We have another set of Spinergys (same size) and it kind of stinks that I could not swap them out if we were short on time (which is most of the time;-) . . .
    You could choose to have ADI install drive splines into your spare set of wheels.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post

4) any disc brake system will need frequent adjusting when it's new. The pads need setting; the cables need stretching. After some initial use (a month or so) they should settle in. And, unlike a bicycle where applying the new brakes doesn't turn you, applying new brakes on a wheelchair will be annoying (especially single-lever actuation) because the two sides won't settle in exactly together, thus turning the chair until they settle in. On a car, the brakes are linked in an X pattern (front left to right rear), so uneven pull is less noticeable (and for safety).
    The best way to ensure that two disc brakes actuate simultaneously with identical pressure is to use a hydraulic system, not mechanical.

I have an offroad handcycle with two wheels up front & one in the rear, each with disc brakes – hydro up front (w/ single-lever actuation) & cable-driven in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    The best way to ensure that two disc brakes actuate simultaneously with identical pressure is to use a hydraulic system, not mechanical.
    Absolutely! I had cable on my mind when writing that (because ADI's are cable actuated). Cars of course use hydraulic brake actuation. And bicycle disc-brake systems are available in hydraulic.

I wonder . . are ADI's convertible to hydraulic?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I've only been doing the heavier research because there are some available used. I think otherwise, I would have been clouded with all the positives too. They are very compelling. Don't be hard on yourself.

I guess I don't understand why this technology is not more standard on higher end wheelchairs. All of the parts are from the bicycle industry and have been available for some time Hydraulic Disc Brakes. Granted, I can understand that they may not be available on all types of chairs and wheels, the average consumer should not need to cut their camber tube or insert a spline drive to use them.

The jury is still out on our decision, but that is also because we are considering a power add-on, and for most of the situations where variable brakes would be used, i.e., descending, we think the power add-on would be used instead.

Mostly what I hear about ADI's is very good. Good luck, and hope they work well for you.

Thank you.

Yes, this is where I was foolish and should have done some research; I believe I can reverse what they have done, but it will be a costly mistake, not to mention the hassle if I do. I had a vision of the positives and it clouded any other judgement.

I think they do, or did, modify the existing camber tube. They either changed doing that or they at least did for mine, as they sent me my stock camber tube.

Having not used them, I don't know how often adjustments would be needed, I would tend to think not often as they are bike brakes.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).