Thread: Question about Handrims (hemi)

Question about Handrims (hemi)

I’ve been looking through all of the handrim posts, but can’t seem to find all the information I am looking for. We are trying to decide on handrims for a ZRA with 24" Spnergy LX wheels. So far, I think it is between of Natural Fit Surge LT’s and Titanium handrims. Here are our requirements in order of priority:

1) Comfortable and easy to push using one arm because of hemiparesis (weakness on one side). We think the Natural Fit Surge LT’s would be the best for this.

2) Able to take a lot of abuse on the sides because of a decrease of awareness and vision on one side. The current aluminium rims are really banged up after 2 years of hitting walls and furniture. We think Titanium will be the best for this. Does anyone know how well the black anodized on the Surge wears?

3) Able to not damage walls and furniture too much (same reason as above). We have no idea what would be best for this – any suggestions?

4) Not attached to rim, so that we can take one off. This is possible for both the Surge and Titaniums.

I am also curious about pricing for the Titanium handrims, because we are considering getting them with Spinergy wheels from Sportaid, but there price is high. Here is what I see the pricing as:

ZRA order form = $400
    Sportaid = $425 (the price is the same if ordered with Spinergy’s or separately)
    Out-Front order form Satin Finish = $300 / Polished Finish = $350

Does anyone know the following about the Sportaid hardrims:
    - Are the Titanium handrims made by Out-Front like TiLites?
    - Are they available in both Satin and Polished (not an option on the order form)?
    - Can you order just one of them, because one side will not be used?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I would e-mail Sportaid with those questions. They have great customer service and I always receive a reply the same day (if e-mailed before they close for the day).

stuff@sportaid.com

I e-mail Sportaid about the specific questions about handrim orderiing (you're right, they are very good about that), but would still appreciate any input on the first 4 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by pacrossbow View Post
    I would e-mail Sportaid with those questions. They have great customer service and I always receive a reply the same day (if e-mailed before they close for the day).
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I thought it might help others to give you an update on what Sportaid replied about the handrim questions:

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    - Are the Titanium handrims made by Out-Front like TiLites?
    Answer: Titanium handrims are made by TiLite
    - Are they available in both Satin and Polished (not an option on the order form)?
    Answer: They are available in both Satin and Polished
    - Can you order just one of them, because one side will not be used?
    Answer: You can order just one (not the pair) and the price will be adjusted accordingly