Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael J. Fox wearing our "Unlock the Prison of Paralysis" T-shirt

Michael J. Fox wearing our "Unlock the Prison of Paralysis" T-shirt

I was invited to speak at a Michael J. Fox Stem Cell Research event in Tampa today, and I presented Michael with one of our T-Shirts.

He liked it very much and said he would wear it on the plane home!!!

If anyone else would like to wear these T-shirts ( maybe have them pop up everywhere in the US, just like the yellow bracelets have done), please go to www.CureParalysisNow.org and order yours.

"We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity" in the next election. "We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology."- Ron Reagan Jr.

You should have gotten a picture for the website.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Actor speaks out on stem cells
    Michael J. Fox joins Democrats and doctors in pushing research that could aid Parkinson's patients and others.
    By LISA GREENE, Times Staff Writer
    Published September 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photos: Joseph Garnett Jr.]
    Actor Michael J. Fox said President Bush's stance on stem cell research makes no sense.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Armitage, 14, cries as he listens to his mother, Faye Armitage of Jacksonville, tell a USF audience how he was paralyzed in a soccer accident after colliding with another child at age 7. Armitage is the founder of Cure Paralysis Now, which supports stem cell research.

TAMPA - Actor Michael J. Fox told hundreds of University of South Florida students Tuesday that he can respect people who oppose stem cell research for ethical reasons.

But he said President Bush is not one of those people.

Fox, who came to Tampa with Democratic leaders to push for stem cell research, said Bush's policy is hypocritical. Condemning the research as unethical, but allowing some of it to proceed under strict limits, makes no sense to Fox.

"You can do this a little bit, just don't tell the neighbors," he said of Bush's position.

Research on embryonic stem cells could save millions of lives, he told the crowd of about 500. Fox, who suffers from Parkinson's, said stem cell research can help with that disease as well as other conditions, such as spinal injuries.

"That could be any one of us," he said. "This will benefit humanity in ways that are incalculable. ... We have the opportunity to do some amazing things."

Many of the USF students in Fox's audience weren't even born when Fox first became famous on Family Ties in 1982. They may have been in diapers when Back to the Future made him a megastar.

But thanks to the magic of reruns, some of the students told Fox about their favorite episodes. One told him that hearing that Fox had Parkinson's was almost like hearing about a member of her own family.

Another woman thanked Fox for becoming the nation's most famous advocate for fighting the disease. She's had Parkinson's for 11 years.

Audience members also got a science lesson in stem cells from a USF professor, Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos, who explained how the embryonic cells hold promise because they can have the capacity to become any type of cell - nerve, muscle, blood. That means they might one day help to cure a broad array of diseases.

Opponents of stem cell research say it's wrong to use cells from a fertilized embryo, destroying it in the process. They compare it to abortion. Advocates say stem cells used in research are leftover from in-vitro fertilization attempts and would be destroyed anyway.

Faye Armitage, a Jacksonville resident whose 14-year-old son, Jason, was paralyzed in a soccer accident at age 7, told the crowd of her hopes that stem cell research could one day help him.

Source

"We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity" in the next election. "We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology."- Ron Reagan Jr.

Faye;

Thanks. Again. You go girl!

John

Faye, thanks for all of your hard work for the cause. We appreciate it - glad that the Times staff writer talked about you in the article. The Tampa Trib had an article on the front page of the metro section and they quoted you.

Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Oct 2003

[This message was edited by MikeC on 09-29-04 at 11:22 AM.]

Faye, I'm a writer for a large advertising agency in Texas and four years ago broke my neck. I am currently paralyzed from the neck down. I still work from my house and am interested in helping out. I work with a number of talented designers and wonder if you would entertain the thought of changing your logo. I have yet to contact them because I would like to hear from you first. I'm contacting you because it seems you already have printing and distribution lined up and it makes sense to help out rather than start over. Please let me know and we will get to work.

JARED333 - check your private messages.

Tom

great news! Faye,i thank you for all of your spirited efforts-the message is getting through. :-)

Faye,
    Thanks for making such an effort. I know that it will make a difference.

Faye, Jason, and Mr. Fox..what a team of workers!
    You go girl.

Help is on the way.