Thread: you bike?

you bike?

Do you think this would have any benefits other than cardio?

http://www.youbike.co.nz/

Thanks for posting...definitely looks interesting. I would think it would be beneficial for keeping leg flexibility as well as better blood circulation, in addition to the cardio benefits. And if you have any leg return, then you can decide yourself how much arm movement you need/want.

Given that one of the first pieces of equipment my son used at Walk-on (Australian version of Project Walk) was an exercise bike, manually assisted by the trainers, this equipment looks good. And the cost (although not cheap at $1900) seems a lot more reasonable than either the powered set-ups, or the one I saw some years ago where you laid on your back and did the same arm/leg movements (can't remember the name of that one, but recall that they had some persistent and annoying sales people...).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I'd be concerned on the short crank lengths, and really no support to stop your legs from flaying out while in motion. The footrest look kind of cheap also.

They didn't really talk about how the tension can be adjusted for better cardio workout

I've tried a few of the foot/hand powered ergometers and found them lacking in good efficient function. If you want cardio, I suggest you look at a Krankcycle, Sci Fit, handcycle or a Vitaglide(if you can find one).

Would be worth looking at though, but I strongly suggest you try one out if possible. If it's coming from New Zealand to Florida and only costs 1900.00, I'd be sure of the quality and if it'll do what you want.

Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-13-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: double posted

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'd be concerned on the short crank lengths, and really no support to stop your legs from flaying out while in motion. The footrest look kind of cheap also.
    There seems to be an optional calf support that attaches to the footrest, which is presumably designed to minimize the flaying concern.

I should probably clarify that my responses are is based around the potential usefulness for a 9 year old, so I imagine the footrest design wont be a problem for us.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Would Walk-On be a good place to show them the Youbike Gordy? The calf support would more than likely be longer for him and help stop the splaying. When I looked at the Saratoga arm/foot combo. he was concerned about the angle the footrest put the hip joints in.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Would Walk-On be a good place to show them the Youbike Gordy? The calf support would more than likely be longer for him and help stop the splaying. When I looked at the Saratoga arm/foot combo. he was concerned about the angle the footrest put the hip joints in.
    Yes, we will be letting the Walk On folk know about the Youbike, and see what they say. I know at least one of my son's hip joints is pretty loose, so we do need to be careful about alignment issues too. I'm not convinced that any equipment is ever 100% perfect though, there always seem to be some compromises needed unfortunately.

I tried one of those little cycles from walmart, but my feet don't stay on and it's so light. I'd like something heavy enough but small enough to move after use. Cardio would be good but I think cycling my arms or legs would also be good for more. Any ideas appreciated? And ideas to strap my feet so they don't slip off and my left nonf grasping hand.