Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working out in AFOs

Cool Working out in AFOs

Hi everyone I recently started to wear the bluerocker toeoff AFOs I was actually wanting to know if you can or have worked out in them? When I say worked out I mean going to the gym and do stuff like that.

I used an AFO'from 1970 until 2004. I didn't sleep or shower in it but wore it for everything else.

Note: I didn't use any chair until 2004.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

My father wears AFOs on both legs. Custom, but very rehab looking. Not cool blue like yours.

Anyway, he wears his all day everyday, except when he is sleeping/in bed. He goes to the gym all the time and has work-out equipment at home and is always is wearing his AFOs.

He notices on the leg press that he can get some pain in his ankle if his AFO is too tight, but it looks like the kind you are using isn't as restrictive as his.

But be VERY careful to check your skin well after wearing your AFOs every day to make sure you are not developing pressure sores. And after you work out in the gym for the first few times, check your feet/legs to make sure you aren't developing sores from the gym.

Have fun.

Wear thicker socks or a thin liner sock and a slightly thicker sock over that.

I wear mine all the time. I wear thick knee high socks. Work out in them 3x a week.

I wear mine on both legs almost for everything, for 8 yrs now. mine are just plain army issued ones, they drilled some holes in the back for air.
    I hope you enjoy many good hours at the gym with yours They look very nice type. let us know how they work for you.

I will be getting a new afo for my right foot. I requested a "Blue Rocker" but I was told that I had too much tone and not enough ankle flexion. So with that said I am getting a more restrictive type with hopes that I will get more movement in my foot/ankle. The afo has a molded plate that I will wear on the front of my foot/ankle and then the regular afo on the back. Anyone else have this experience?

Hello IMA, them blue rocker afo sound nice but i have no ankle movement, my calfs are toned cause i kinda walk around at home with afos off ( useing a walker) i have custom afo with a hinge on cause i have no ankle movement do the restrictive kind have no hinge at the ankle? i was told i must have a hinge cause of no ankle movement . i would like to have mor choices in sneakers with little around the ankle. Marge

Quote Originally Posted by ima2003 View Post
    I requested a "Blue Rocker" but I was told that I had too much tone and not enough ankle flexion. So with that said I am getting a more restrictive type with hopes that I will get more movement in my foot/ankle. The afo has a molded plate that I will wear on the front of my foot/ankle and then the regular afo on the back. Anyone else have this experience?
    I have a lot of tone and footdrop, with no ankle flexion at all. I wear a KAFO now due to knee hyperextension, but in earlier days I wanted a Blue Rocker because it is less bulky and more flexible than other types of AFOs - also, the Blue Rocker can be fitted with a knee attachment that effectively turns it into a KAFO (and I knew that's where I was headed). My orthotist let me try the Rocker, but it just wouldn't work as intended due to my extreme tone and lack of ankle flexion. The more rigid AFO with molded footplate and ankle hinge worked well and was quite comfortable, until knee hyperextension made a larger brace necessary. As long as your AFO is made by a good orthotist who casts and customizes it properly, you should do just fine.

My Pt also recommended the graphite model first, but after the orthotist seen me they found my ankle flexion, dorsal flexion, and some other flexion was to weak to
    benefit from them. They did put staps on the back, because my ankles would go to bone before they would stop. I did have some problems at the gym at first because when bending (squats) my afo's would pinch behind my knees. They cut them a bit shorter and been fine since then. I love my afo's, without them I'd be toast.