Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why glutes & hamstring but no toes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Why glutes & hamstring but no toes?

I copied this from another website & have a question... (below)

L2 Bends the hip.
    L1, L2, L3, L4 Thigh flexion.
    L2, L3, L4 Extension of leg at the knee (quadriceps femoris)
    L2, L3, L4 Thigh adduction.
    L4, L5, S1 Thigh abduction.
    L4, L5, S1 Dorsiflexion of foot (tibialis anterior).
    L4, L5, S1 Extension of toes.
    L4, L5, S1, S2 Flexion of leg at the knee (hamstrings).
    L5, S1, S2 Extension of leg at the hip (gluteus maximus).
    L5, S1, S2 Plantar flexion of foot.
    L5, S1, S2 Flexion of toes.
    S2, S3, S4 Control a man's ability to have a reflex erection.
    S2, S3, S4 Ejaculation is generated by the bulbospongiosus muscle under the control of a spinal reflex via the pudendal nerve.
    S3,4 and 5 supply the bladder, bowel and sex organs and the anal and other pelvic muscles.

I have a t-11-12 injury and with lots of work, have pretty good recovery of the first 5 (in blue), ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (Not even spasms) in the feet & toes (nor any green), but then I am having some recovery in the hamstrings & glutes which are equal or lower on the cord level. Why would it skip the dorsiflexion & extension of toes? Maybe there's some hope for my feet??

Who knows. I also have t 12 injury, yet have some return at s 345 and some l4 but nothing in between those 2. I think it has to do with everything branching off, but I would have to go find where i read that.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

This is very interesting. It Is probably the clearest I have seen what controls what. Helps me to maybe understand how I am injured. Though I'm still so confused over most of this. I dislocated my spine at T12 L1, but my injuries are more consistent with caude equina in many ways. Who knows? I will say that I got stuff back top down. Hips, quads, first then hammys and glutes second, then feet. My right legs is almost normal motor wise except very weak but my sensory is screwy. My left, not so much. I am just now starting to get my left foot to move some. I would say that there is definitely hope though. Read your blog. Good stuff! Good luck!

Addiesue: Hmmm. branching off...I guess there's so many ways to injure a spinal cord... My feet have some feeling, some hyper-pain and some numbness. When I "try" to bend my toes or point my feet, I feel some more tingling, but no movement.

MFlounlacker thanks for the "hope" and for your encouragement for my blog. i am enjoying writing it.

Both: What's the latest you have had more return? I am still getting more glutes and hamstring and I am 9 yrs. post. Still working hard on the exercise therapy.

I also have the tingling when I try to move my feet, but that's it. I have sensation in the feet, in that I can tell something is touching them, but I couldn't tell you if it was a sock or a chainsaw. Both hurt about the same.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

I was injured so recently, that my case would probably not be relevent. I was injured in a fall in December 2011 so I am a newbie. It is hard for me to tell if I am getting new stuff back or if it was there the whole time but just very weak. I have engaged in exhaustive exercise therapy on my own since returning home from the hospital in January. I don't know if the exercise is the reason for my improvement or if maybe I wasn't hurt as bad as they originally had thought. I like to think it is the exercise. Keeps me motivated. The newest movement for me would be my left foot. I have slight plantarflexion and even less dorsiflexion. But this is relatively new, within the last month or so.

I have pressure feeling in the feet but no movement. Like Addiesue, I can't tell if its a sock or a chainsaw as it hurts the same. I get tingling when I try to move my feet and a few small spasms. It wasn't so bad at first but with years has turned into a pit of fire when I attempt to move them.

I got return of everything you highlighted in blue and not the ones in green.

I also have the saddle paralysis of cauda equina. Everywhere the saddle touches and down the backs of the legs, I am numb, not burning just numb. The insides of my legs below the knee are very hypersensitive.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I also have the saddle numbness, but can feel to my knees on the top of my thighs. This saddle thing changes though. SOmetimes I am more sensitive than others, it makes no sense.

put your feet on a vibration plate for 30-60min 3 times per week. think about moving them during that time
    Tony Davenport, M.S.

Quote Originally Posted by scitrainerpwatl View Post
    put your feet on a vibration plate for 30-60min 3 times per week. think about moving them during that time
    I don't have access to a vibration plate, but I know that when I have ridden my ATV, afterwards my feet have more of a general sensation (not to touch). so that makes sense.