Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreedomRyder FRH-1

FreedomRyder FRH-1

Hello - I was wondering if any owners of this handcycle on here, have got the jointed tube seat option fitted (i.e. that lets you have the seating position reclined right back almost like a racer) and if so, wouldn't mind posting a photo of somebody sat in it, in the reclined position?

I know it sounds like a bit of a strange request! It's just that I can't see a photo of this anywhere on the web, only the manufacturers web site which has photos of the seat option, but an empty bike. It's quite difficult to see how you would actually sit without seeing somebody actually sitting in it.

I live in the UK and this is not a very common HC over here so it is unlikely I would be able to try one, especially with the optional extra of the jointed seat tube.

I really like the look of this HC and like the idea that it can be used in an upright position or fairly reclined. The only one thing that slightly puts me off is that when looking most photos online, the rear axle seems really long making the the wheels really wide apart.

I've done quite abit of research on this bike the past week or so (mostly found on this website thanks to google) and the reviews from users seem to be very good, but any feedback on the above two points I've made would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

You could ask Mike Lofgren at Freedom Ryder to put on the axle they have on their Leansteers bikes. It's something like 5" narrower. I have it on mine and feel much safer on the narrow roads I ride. Mikes reluctance in doing that is he feels it will make the bike more tippy, but I nor any of my friends who have had the narrower axle have ever experienced even the slightest feel of tipping over. I am careful going around corners at high speeds, but I do that even in a wider axled bike.

Curt Leatherbee is the only guy I know with the jointed seat tube. You could pm him and ask if he doesn't respond to this thread.

Thanks for your reply Patrick.

I actually have read many of your posts on the FRH-1 and like what you have to say about it!

Can I ask how long the axle is that you have fitted on yours?

I used to have an XLT Pro and the rear wheel distances apart appear to be much narrower than the FRH-1 (just judging by the photos I've seen)

They are Steve, by about 5 inches. the leansteer axle is about the same as the Pro. Since you've ridden before and are thinking on a FRH; I'd tell Mike that you have and want the narrower axle. YOu can always tell him we've talked about the two lengths.

I don't understand the h/c manufactuers sometimes. They've known for years that the 650c tire is not meant for everyone. The average cyclist is not going to race, esp. on a FRH-1 so why not put on a 559 wheel for a good all around tire choice. Same goes for that wider axle; many of us ride trails etc. and the wider axle doesn't allow for it. Will measure it Steve.

Thanks again Patrick - I have had some contact with Mike before creating this thread, so if I go ahead and order an FRH-1, I will do as you suggest.

I know what you mean about the trails, I will be cycling a combination of quiet roads, coastal paths and country trails. Over here we don't generally have as much space as you guys on our roads that's why the wider axle put me off too!

I am lucky to live near an 8 mile long, fairly flat promenade by a beautiful beach which offers a superb leisurely cycling route though!

Sounds wonderful Stevie. If ya get too tired you can always get one of Mark's Roadrace powerpods. Love mine.

Yeah, I saw that video of him going uphill past all those Top End racers and the like - very funny I thought!

One of the guys on the the Top Ends seemed to look around at him going past and be thinking "WTF"!

Hi Steve, I can't really recommend going with the lean back seat rest. I found it very uncomfortable and played around with adjustments quite a bit and found even with the crank pulled back all the way I was still reaching too far, although I may have been better with the seat not reclined back as far as I had it, I ended up going back with the regular seat back. My suggestion is if your ordering the handcycle would be to have Mike cut an extra inch or two off the seat back support and that will recline the stock seat more. I did this on one of my FHR's and really like it, the other sits up too straight but I'm going take a hack saw to that one and recline it the same as the yellow one.

As you can see from the picture it pushed me way too far foward on the seat bottom and I had to move the footrest way up (I have long legs) and it made the handcycle feel a bit awkward. IMO, not worth it
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Thanks Curt for the advice - that would save me $375 then

I like your avatar photo, I remember the first time after I was paralyzed and put on a t shirt I felt like I was invisable.

Sure, no problem, you can see from my pic how it pushes you up way towards the front of the seat bottom, not the most comfortable thing in the world, it felt great when I put my regular backrest back on again.

If you really want to go fast and race there is no substitute for the Top End Force Handcycles. The FRH's are a great general rider but not the greatest racer. I know I could turn better times in the marathons I do if I were to ride a force. But I would not give up my Freedom riders as they are so comfortable and functional and a easy on and off transfer. Very nice riding handcycles and well engineered. I may get a force next early spring and start training on it for next summers marathons. I've been dying to crack under 2 hours in the Vermont City Marathon and I think I may be able to do it on a Force.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred