Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain in my thumb

Pain in my thumb

I have been having sharp pains that begins in my thumb and shoots down the side of my hand. I have not injured my thumb and I don't believe this pain would be caused from using the computer because it is my left thumb. I use my right hand for the mouse and don't type very daily.

This pain started a few weeks ago, but it was only occassionally, now it is an every night occurrance. It sometimes hurts in the daynight but it's mild pain. This sharp pain only happens at night and is so bad that it has kept me up for at least an hour every night this past week.

What could this be? What can I do to make this pain go away? What kind of doctor would I need to see about this?

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I have been having sharp pains that begins in my thumb and shoots down the side of my hand. I have not injured my thumb and I don't believe this pain would be caused from using the computer because it is my left thumb. I use my right hand for the mouse and don't type very daily.

This pain started a few weeks ago, but it was only occassionally, now it is an every night occurrance. It sometimes hurts in the daynight but it's mild pain. This sharp pain only happens at night and is so bad that it has kept me up for at least an hour every night this past week.

What could this be? What can I do to make this pain go away? What kind of doctor would I need to see about this?
    Saving for posterity.

what other activities of daily living do you do that you use the left hand/thumb? wheelchair pushing? did you have trauma to the area? arthritis? a good history to determine cause and then doing an xray to check it out.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Saving for posterity.
    No joke.

Here we go again. **sigh**

Faith, every ache and pain does not necessitate a trip to the doctor or e.r. Hell, if I went to the doctor for every pain I have, new or existing, I would have my own wing in a hospital. Something new hurts almost every, single day.

Get out of tiny town, go to school, go to work, do something other than sit and think about what is your latest pain du jour. It's unhealthy and borders upon hypochondriasis if it is not already full blown.

I don't know about you, but when I spend too much time on the computer, my left thumb gets sore from propping up my chin. Solution -- get away from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Faith, every ache and pain does not necessitate a trip to the doctor or e.r. Hell, if I went to the doctor for every pain I have, new or existing, I would have my own wing in a hospital. Something new hurts almost every, single day.

Get out of tiny town, go to school, go to work, do something other than sit and think about what is your latest pain du jour. It's unhealthy and borders upon hypochondriasis if it is not already full blown.

I agree 100 percent....I hurt daily sometimes things hurt that i didn't know i had lol but i dont run to the dr or er everytime i feel pain....Right now as i type this my back is hurting along with my shoulders it just a part of my life....

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    what other activities of daily living do you do that you use the left hand/thumb? wheelchair pushing? did you have trauma to the area? arthritis? a good history to determine cause and then doing an xray to check it out.

pbr
    The main use I have for my left hand is pushing my chair. I haven't done anything to injury my hand or thumb that I can recall. But I do recall that I put my hand on the car seat when getting into the car. I may have put pressure or strain on it at some point and didn't realize it. I find it strange that this pain only occurs at night. It's just mild discomfort occassionally in the daytime is nothing compared to nighttime. I also know that I don't lay on it at night. I also know it's not from computer use. If it were my rignt hand, I would say that could be it.

All I know is pain is the body's way of letting us know something isn't right. I mentioned this to my primary when I saw him a few weeks ago. It was just beginning to bother me at that time and he said we'd just need to keep a check on it. He said I may need to have a brace on it. I just hope this is a minor easily remedied issue. Hopefully I can get an appointment to see my primary this week to get this checked out. My next scheduled appointment isn't until November and I can't wait that long.

Thank you smashms for the advice. I will try icing it. I have already been taking some motrin before going to bed because of pains from my bladder stones. But that doesn't seem to keep the pain in my thumb away.

The main use I have for my left hand is pushing my chair. I haven't done anything to injury my hand or thumb that I can recall. But I do recall that I put my hand on the car seat when getting into the car. I may have put pressure or strain on it at some point and didn't realize it. I find it strange that this pain only occurs at night. It's just mild discomfort occassionally in the daytime is nothing compared to nighttime. I also know that I don't lay on it at night. I also know it's not from computer use. If it were my rignt hand, I would say that could be it.

All I know is pain is the body's way of letting us know something isn't right. I mentioned this to my primary when I saw him a few weeks ago. It was just beginning to bother me at that time and he said we'd just need to keep a check on it. He said I may need to have a brace on it. I just hope this is a minor easily remedied issue. Hopefully I can get an appointment to see my primary this week to get this checked out. My next scheduled appointment isn't until November and I can't wait that long.

Thank you smashms for the advice. I will try icing it. I have already been taking some motrin before going to bed because of pains from my bladder stones. But that doesn't seem to keep the pain in my thumb away.
    ice it?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005