Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring without a slide board

Transferring without a slide board

Hi there,

I had flap surgery on my coccyx (sp) on August 17 and my recovery is going great. My surgical site looks awesome according to my wound doctor and my 24 staples are being removed on Tuesday.

I have been working out doing 3 sets of 30 of 6 different exercises, I began using a 5 lb. dumbbell and now I'm using a 6 lb. dumbbell. I am in a nursing home and I am supposed to be weighed once monthly but I can't get on a hoyer yet because of my flap so last month, a CNA came in a measured just above my bicep and it measured out to be 11 1/2" This month is measured out to be 15 1/2 inches. I felt so good. Four more inches!

I am a incomplete t7 and I have just begun working on my trunk and strengthening by doing crunches and working on my obiques (sp)

When I lived at my apartment, I utilized a sliding board. I am trying to get strong enough to transfer without a sliding board.

Are there anyone out there that don't use one? If so, can you please give me some tips on how your process works?

Thanks,

Michael

With those 15 inch pythons you should have no problem. I am a t8 complete and never use a slide board. One hand on your chair, one hand on where you want to go, head down, butt up and rotate. All you got to do is get your ass where you want to be, the biggest obstacle is your mind.

I'm T6, 30years and never used one. Biggest thing I think is to lift UP, then over. At first you might throw something like a towel or t-shirt across the tire in case you rub it. Like T8 says first time is the hardest.

Eeesh ... give that flap a bit more time. Transferring without a board gives you more risk and why take it?

I transferred without for over twenty years but went back to one after I hurt my shoulder 6 or 7 years ago.

Congrats on the muscle building!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm a c6 and use a board only for car transfers. I'd think a board would be worse for a flap, with the board end poking into your butt? I just git er done in one good heave.

Well ... as long as the one good heave doesn't end up falling or on the tire, okay. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm Pissed off

I shared with you all that my arm measurements went from 11 1/2 to 15 1/2. The woman came back in my room and I asked what she was doing and she said that management asked her to measure it again. UNFORTUNATELY, the growth was only 1/2". 11 1/2 to 12" Although, I am preparing to move up to 7 lb. with my weight lifting, with 12" arms, will I still be able to transfer without a sliding board?

By the way, Thank you all for your feedback!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael5462 View Post
    I shared with you all that my arm measurements went from 11 1/2 to 15 1/2. The woman came back in my room and I asked what she was doing and she said that management asked her to measure it again. UNFORTUNATELY, the growth was only 1/2". 11 1/2 to 12" Although, I am preparing to move up to 7 lb. with my weight lifting, with 12" arms, will I still be able to transfer without a sliding board?

By the way, Thank you all for your feedback!

Michael
    Heh, I was wondering about the 4 inches on you biceps. That is hard to do without having someone like Barry Bonds as a friend. Yes it is possible, it is mostly technique not strength. You just have to have the confidence to do it.

I'm t4 and haven't ever used a board. Like others have said, think about lifting up and over rather than sliding.

Your arm measurements actually have little to do with transfers like this. Yes, triceps are important for pushing, but you really want to develop your shoulders and back.

If you put your hands on your wheels and push straight up so your butt is off your chair, those are your arm muscles working.
    Now, with your butt in the air and your arms locked straight, use your shoulders and back to raise and lower your body. THOSE are the muscles you need to do this kind of transfer.

Watch this video and skip to 55 seconds. Notice how when he shifts his butt he barely uses his arms at all? It's all in his shoulders and back.

Here's a link with a bunch of shoulder and back exercises. Use the checkboxes at left to filter your search to SHOULDERS and MIDDLE BACK and then lower, DUMBELL.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup
    Last edited by brian; 09-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Smile

no way i could even think about that lol looked easy but i would splat
    c6c7