Thread: DEMOing

DEMOing

Maybe I am confused here (on copious amounts of Valium and Percs until I get new wheels) so please bare with me. I have read posts were people talk about demoing manual wheelchairs for what sounds like days. This appears particularly true of the ICON. I have used a chair all my life and never have I been able to take one out of a DME shop. I have always found the "hallway demo" useless since they never, ever have a small enough chair.

Have things changed since I last bought a chair (9 to 10 years ago) or am I just reading posts wrong and people are making adjustments at the DME and making a day of it?

E
    Last edited by Essie; 09-23-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added "manual wheelchairs"

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I've never had a chair to demo and neither has my local DME supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    Maybe I am confused here (on copious amounts of Valium and Percs until I get new wheels) so please bare with me. I have read posts were people talk about demoing manual wheelchairs for what sounds like days. This appears particularly true of the ICON. I have used a chair all my life and never have I been able to take one out of a DME shop. I have always found the "hallway demo" useless since they never, ever have a small enough chair.

Have things changed since I last bought a chair (9 to 10 years ago) or am I just reading posts wrong and people are making adjustments at the DME and making a day of it?

E
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    you should specify "manual wheelchair" to demo. power chairs aren't custom and one can usually get one to demo if you push hard enough. power chairs have a basic platform and are adjusted to fit the person since there is no weight concern about the extra room left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    Thanks jschism. Edit made.
    E
    Edit by GJ: Since it became clear "Essie" was looking for information on "demoing" a manual chair, I removed my comments about my experience with demoing a power chair.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-24-2012 at 02:25 PM.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    you should specify "manual wheelchair" to demo. power chairs aren't custom and one can usually get one to demo if you push hard enough. power chairs have a basic platform and are adjusted to fit the person since there is no weight concern about the extra room left over.

Thanks jschism. Edit made.
    E

I was able to borrow another user's backup chair for a long trial (several weeks). He was about my size, and the chair was slightly beat up, but it gave me a great starting place to fine tune adjustments and learn what was important to me. He even let me tweak it to fit me. Of course I had never used any chair before (just a rollator), so I was really at zero.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

When I was looking at a TiLite TRA, a dealer brought a chair to my house that was vaguely near my measurements, and I got to use it for maybe an hour (inside and outside the house).

Icon rep Mark Marrott brought a chair to my house when he was in my area. He adjusted it for me (we played with adjusting it quite a bit), and I used it for a couple of hours. I don't know if he would have left it for days or not.

The only time I was ever able to demo a chair for a day was through a formal seating eval at a rehab hospital. I happened to have other doctor apps that day so they agreed to loan the chair to me for the day so I could get a good feel. With my more recent chair, I had tried out teammates chairs so I knew what chair I wanted, and they just brought the emotion wheels for me to try out on a "demo" chair that was way to little for me.