Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my Cath teqnique?

Help me with my Cath teqnique?

Hi guys . So, we qualify to get some touchless cath kits, but not enough to last, so I need something to suppliment when we run out. At present, its these stupid 16" catheters that i have to lube up and a urinal. How the freak do you guys deal with this? It SUCKS. So much of a pain in the ass - I'm trying to push the urinal down so that gravity isn't working against me (he's in bed when I do this right now) , but its just a mess. EASIER WAY? LONGER CATHETERS? I can't find any longer ones . Prelubricated would be nice. Obviously don't wanna pay out the ass, but there has to be a better way than this. Its hard to stay sterile when there are so many steps and not enough hands.

I understand your frustration. When we started managing GJ's bladder with intermittent catheterization we initially used sterile catheter kits. At the time, the kits came with a very sturdy urine collection tray. The tray had a small separate section to put cotton balls that you could soak with betadine. I used these trays for a long time, washing with hot soapy water, rinsing and allowing to air dry until the next cath. Eventually, these plastic trays cracked and I had to find a substitute. The trays that come in sterile cath kits today are so flimsy they hardly make it through a single cath.

So I devised my own home cath tray and urine collection tray. This is a clean technique (Clean Intermittent Catheterization-CIC), not sterile. The components are:
    • A plastic shoe box lid
    • A roll of cling flim, stretch wrap, syranwrap or paper towels
    • Catheter
    • Lubricant
    • Gloves
    • Povidon-Iodine Prep Pads (Betadine)
    • Rubbermaid 5 cup (flat) plastic food storage container

Each time GJ needed to be cathed, I lined the shoe box lid with a piece of cling film and laid out the components that I needed on top of the plastic wrap. I too had to cath GJ in bed and I could carry my preloaded tray to the bedside. I used the 5 cup plastic food storage container to collect the urine. This tray is narrow enough to lay on the bed (with a disposable absorbent pad beneath it) between the legs. Use a round wood rasp to score a notch in the lip of the food storage container. Once the catheter is in place push the catheter into the notch to hold it in place while urine flows into the container. I was never able to use the urinal to collect the urine. I had another tray with a soapy washcloth and a rinse wash cloth to clean up the betadine and lubricant. All of this is written in the past tense because GJ now has a suprapubic indwelling catheter.

Picture below.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-22-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Right-size photo

You can also use a leg bag, and attach the catheter to it. They are more difficult to wash out than other containers.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

For cathing in either bed or chair, a leg bag attached to a funnel ended straight catheter is great...you can easily cath anywhere (back of van, in a friend's bedroom, etc.) and then empty into the toilet, rinse with water, and when you get home, rinse some 10% bleach through the leg bag and store again in a baggie in the wheelchair backpack. No need for a urinal at all, and virtually guaranteed to avoid leaks and spills.

For lubrication, take a clean, new paper towel and lay that on his thigh, then apply a big glob of lubricant. Run the catheter through this just before introducing (after cleaning the penis skin with either soap and water or a baby wipe).

(KLD)

I got tired of all the lube and attaching bags so I opted for the LoFric Hydro-Kit. Works like a charm.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    For cathing in either bed or chair, a leg bag attached to a funnel ended straight catheter is great...you can easily cath anywhere (back of van, in a friend's bedroom, etc.) and then empty into the toilet, rinse with water, and when you get home, rinse some 10% bleach through the leg bag and store again in a baggie in the wheelchair backpack. No need for a urinal at all, and virtually guaranteed to avoid leaks and spills.

For lubrication, take a clean, new paper towel and lay that on his thigh, then apply a big glob of lubricant. Run the catheter through this just before introducing (after cleaning the penis skin with either soap and water or a baby wipe).

(KLD)
    I cathed GJ for 10 years 6+ times a day round the clock, for me "you can easily cath anywhere" (using a leg bag or not to cath into) was not a reality. Cathing anywhere but in bed was a disaster for us. Leg bags can be expensive and don't last very long. I prefer the tray that is easily washed and sanitized. We always cathed at home and our schedule was dictated by the cathing schedule. Living life by the need to cath was difficult, a real downer in fact, but that inconvenience paled in comparison to the disasters that we experienced trying to cath anywhere else but at home. Somehow, we just never got the hang of it, try as we did.

I found that it was easier to drizzle a bead of lubricant on to one side of the catheter, turn the catheter and drizzle another bead of lubricant on the other side. This method was more efficient, wasted less lubricant and applied more lubricant to the catheter. Of course, you must be careful not to touch the lubricant tube tip to any surface. Squeeze the tube and let a bead of lubricant fall along the length of the catheter for several inches, turn and repeat.

We have used the leg bag technique for cathing my mother in both bed and wheelchair for over 20 years, 5X daily, at home, in the back of the van, on cruise ships, in hotels, in public and private restrooms, and several times behind bushes in public parks. One leg bag lasts us about 6-8 weeks using this technique. I purchase bags in bulk, without leg straps, on-line (not covered by insurance).

I also teach this to my clients, and have done so for over 30 years.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We have used the leg bag technique for cathing my mother in both bed and wheelchair for over 20 years, 5X daily, at home, in the back of the van, on cruise ships, in hotels, in public and private restrooms, and several times behind bushes in public parks. One leg bag lasts us about 6-8 weeks using this technique. I purchase bags in bulk, without leg straps, on-line (not covered by insurance).

I also teach this to my clients, and have done so for over 30 years.

(KLD)
    I'm sure you are right and this works for your mother, but as I recall, she is not an SCI quad and may or may not wear dress pants, a binder, undershirt, tucked in dress shirt, tie, and sometimes a vest.

The cath in the chair technique never worked for us. It was just easier, cleaner, and faster for us to transfer GJ to the bed (there was a daybed type couch in his office and an adjoining bathroom), disrobe below the waist, cath and re-dress. I'm not saying it can't be done, it is a pain, and I am sure many people do it, but it was not a viable alternative for us. This was just our experience, I don't mean to be argumentative.

Last edited by gjnl; 09-23-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Holy crap, you transferred him and undressed just to cath??? I could cath him by just leaning the chair back and unzipping his pants, no problem. We cathed in the van, in bathrooms, anywhere there was some semblance of privacy. He has a SP now so its not an issue, but I can't imagine being tethered to your home 6x a day for 10 years.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I'm sure you are right and this works for your mother, but as I recall, she is not an SCI quad
    You are right. She has MS and is tetraplegic due to that. What is your point?? She wears a dress, incontinence pads, and an abdominal binder. It is much easier to cath a male in their wheelchair than a female, any day.

(KLD)