Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idependent Living Community

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    What nice place. So you can't fit a van in the garage. Thats trivial. There isn't enough housing like this in the whole country. You may be correct about your needs and living there. But for a quad it's a godsend.
    That's what we thought too. We were in one unit with a small garage and builder said residents used the garage as storage place for spare wheelchairs and equipment. The community is certainly not perfect but there are few places like this and more needed. If you have a lot of family support a place like this might not be needed. Before retirement I was a voc rehab counselor and heard from numerous disabled clients that their biggest problem was lack of reliable pca's, a problem this community has dealt with.

Flint MI is DEPRESSED. I'd be leery of sinking $$ into that economic microclimate.

Full Disclosure: I know a young man. I told him that area was getting interesting. He grimaced. I said "What?' He said "I saw my 1st murder there."

Sadly, this is reliable info from a 20 yr old gangsta that washed up in Yukon OK. I don't like him. I don't even respect him. I do appreciate his survival skills. Homeboy made it thru some SHIT.

I sometimes wonder what I did before I knew these freakish ppl.

Recently read a trend piece re numbers of garages being built. It's going down duhh, smaller footprint. But how does an sci lady scrape the snow off her windshield in MICHIGAN?

I think KS is a challenge.

$250 a month rent upcharge to use the lift. ?? Thats a little ridiculous isn't it?
    $200 a month upcharge to have a generator?
    Is that normal?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

LOL, that's an entire month's rent here in InaccessbleTown.

I know what the heck are they thinking.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

You BUY generators. Keep them in the garage. Never use them, maybe every 20 years since this isn't Flint MI! That was OK tho, the power never went out. It does here.

I just remembered the auto-on, propane fueled, legit installed generators. Dad's was $10K.

If my power goes out, Dad won't be there. But I will!

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    $250 a month rent upcharge to use the lift. ?? Thats a little ridiculous isn't it?
    $200 a month upcharge to have a generator?
    Is that normal?
    We thought so too and wondered whether Medicare picked up these costs.

Otter Lake is more like Mayberry than it is like Flint. Most of Flint's violence stays right in the inner city with a little leakage here and there. We are about the same distance from Flint also in a little town and we had a shootout between 2 armed robbers from Flint and a parolee living on the edge of town about a month ago. People think the parolee was holding drugs or drug money which the Flint robbers drove here to steal. The gun violence in inner city Flint is truly scary.

I remember a few Section 8 bullet wound sci's in okc. And in Houston, of course. Just standard gangbangers that survived instead of dying. Lived on Gramma's couch in the hood. This one in OKC had no wheelchair for 4 years! Just one that didn't fit. His FWB's or whatever drug him around to places. Long legs dragging on the ground. They pulled him backwards!

Drug dealer, had never worked a job, slangin' crack...The org hooked him up w/ a chair that fit. He worked out like 2 months. Never him saw again.

Empowerment. That's what a couple hundred bucks is.

I'm going out on a limb here. Section 8 housing might be scary in Flint. There are so many predators these days. Ryan's friend was killed probably 5 years ago. His mother is a trainwreck, sketchy as hell. But that's who was there.

And it's expensive!?

Gawd. I feel like prey here, and I look and sound exactly like everyone. Just have a wheelchair and no meth habit. MI may be ok. This is looking like my issue, not theirs. (Am I whitesplaining?) Call me out if so. I never had racial issues. Methheads are white. Gangbangers, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    We thought so too and wondered whether Medicare picked up these costs.

Otter Lake is more like Mayberry than it is like Flint. Most of Flint's violence stays right in the inner city with a little leakage here and there. We are about the same distance from Flint also in a little town and we had a shootout between 2 armed robbers from Flint and a parolee living on the edge of town about a month ago. People think the parolee was holding drugs or drug money which the Flint robbers drove here to steal. The gun violence in inner city Flint is truly scary.
    You can't get complacent. They are out of money. They need to feed their kids and their habits. If you have a little money they come to get it.

Why my son slept w/ a shotgun. We lived in Mayberry too, but it was OKC. Not Flint!

ETA: I shit downer all over your thread, and I'm sorry. It's where my head has been. The US has its head in the sand and I need an antidepressant! I just never thought I would see ALL. THESE. BODIES. In my middle class life. I left Houston b/c of gang leakage and moved my kid into a hornet's nest.

A lot of our blood was Mexican cartels. You may not have that up there yet. You will.