Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Firefly

After a few days using the firefly i can say this is a very interesting toy, now just have to wait to see how durable is it, i hope it will be.
    Some pics, you have to put four clamps in your front frame, this clamps and the firefly arms are adjustable, so you can put them where they don`t hit your legs, mines dosen`t bother mines, they are aluminium unless the botls that are stainless steel, so you don`t add to the chair much weight, around a pound, i leave my clamps always attached to the chair because i`m using the firefly everyday to go to school.
    Here where we have to pay $2 for a liter of disel is better leave your car at home
    BTW, this kind of toys shows you what kind of frame you really got under your arse.
    Last edited by totoL1; 10-10-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Congratulations on your new "toy" Toto. Thanks for the input so far. How does it do on rough terrrain -- cobblestones, grass, etc? Keep us posted on how it does over time and how durable it is.

We are still hoping to get a drive unit power add-on like the ZX1 or SmartDrive for everyday indoor and outdoor use, but also hoping to save some money up for a Firefly for going longer distances outside.

With the price of the Firefly being about 1/2 or in some cases 1/3 the price of other similar power only handbikes, it really does look like a good deal.

In case anyone is curious, here is a list of all the power only handbikes that we have looked into, along with where they are from:

Reha-Technik Speedy Elektra, Delbrück DE
    Reha-Technik Speedy E-Light, Delbrück DE
    Stricker Lipo Lomo, Heildeberg DE
    RioMobility Firefly, San Fransisco CA USA
    ROAM E-Bike, Amsterdam NL
    Double Performance Tracker 20 e-wheeler, Gouda NL
    Team Hybrid Viper, Fareham, Hampshire UK
    Abberate E-Trike, Borger NL

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    After a few days using the firefly i can say this is a very interesting toy, now just have to wait to see how durable is it, i hope it will be.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Congratulations on your new "toy" Toto. Thanks for the input so far. How does it do on rough terrrain -- cobblestones, grass, etc? Keep us posted on how it does over time and how durable it is.
    Well, i really bought it just for urban use, but i don`t like the tire, in some uphills slip sometimes a bit, so i will change in a future the tire for something like this one for have a better grip.

This is a warning if someone buys once a firefly.
    They put my clamps upside down in the store, I noticed yesterday at the photo from the website of the firefly that was not like mines, so I decided to change its position, with that change the firefly is about 2" shorter and this increases the weight on the wheel of the firefly, so has improved its performance in terms of slopes up with slippery surfaces such as sidewalks with very smooth surfaces going uphills.
    Last edited by totoL1; 10-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Wow, good thing you noticed that. Enjoy...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    If you want an offroad electric bike this is what you are looking for, even have suspension.
    Video

If I were going to get a Firefly, I'd see if I could buy just the frame and build my own hub motor/wheel, controller, and battery. The latest generations of hub motors are very powerful and fast. I am in the process of building an e-trike that I will use instead of driving my truck. It will be set up to have a max speed of around 25 mph (40 km/hr.) The power will be nice, but the question will be in regard to stability at that speed. I certainly do like the modular aspect of the Firefly.

Turns out their office is about a mile from my house. I may have to visit them and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post
    If I were going to get a Firefly, I'd see if I could buy just the frame and build my own hub motor/wheel, controller, and battery. The latest generations of hub motors are very powerful and fast. I am in the process of building an e-trike that I will use instead of driving my truck. It will be set up to have a max speed of around 25 mph (40 km/hr.) The power will be nice, but the question will be in regard to stability at that speed. I certainly do like the modular aspect of the Firefly.

I don`t think you could buy just the frame of the firefly, anyway you could ask, but that speed is to much for a wheelchair trike, mine can go just at 18km/h, downhill more than 20km/h and i`ve got more than enough for my urban transport, but if you want it for use it in roads of course you need something faster.

About the stability i don`t think you will have any problems, just in case you want to take a close bend at that speed lol.

toto,

Have you already performed the modification described on page 18 of your User's Manual?

http://www.riomobility.com/en/firefly/usermanual.pdf

I'm used to seeing nothing but disclaimers and liability warnings in a User's Manual! Coming across something like that was a first.