Thread: Quick-release mod for freewheel perch

Quick-release mod for freewheel perch

Hey there!

I've got a freehwheel. My least favorite part of is is the perch: I love being able to stick my freewheel on the back of the chair, but I hate that the perch sticks out - it gets in the way of putting my chair in my car.

I keep my Freewheel in my trunk, not on the chair. So I had been using the allen wrench to loosen the FW perch and swing it down so it wasn't in the way, and then swinging it back up, securing it with the allen wrench and putting the Freehwheel on.

Not good enough, says I.

So, I bought a quick-release lever for a bike, drilled out the perch holes on one side and replaced one bolt with the quick-release.

Now, I can loosen and tighten the perch in any position on the chair without any tools.

Took me about $5 and 5 minutes. The quick-release is cheaply made and so eventually it will wear out. I intend to get one which is more robust than the one I used: I didn't want to buy a nice one until I knew this would work.

The quick release does not affect where the Freewheel sits on the perch at all - surprisingly, it doesn't get in the way.

Pics:

Cool. Nice job!

Chrissy, you are the bomb! That is way cool.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Looks great; good job!
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

This is a great idea, I have been trying to think of a way to stop the bracket scraping the seats in my car. Can I ask, what size/length bracket did you use? Is it a standard bike part or did you have to modify it at all?

Chris

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Colors-Bik...item3a7a1b1d69

Above is a link to the exact thing that I ordered.

I would actually recommend getting one which is slightly different. This one is very cheaply made (but also cheap so....) and will probably wear out. I made no modifications to it - just drilled the perch and stuck it on.

I would say ideally you'd find one in which the post is 2.5" long from the center of the quick release lever to the end, that is 5mm in diameter so you don't have to modify the perch at all. I don't know if they make such an animal, however.

Thats great! Thanks for sharing this.

I love this!