Thread: Worker fired for taking too long to return from

Worker fired for taking too long to return from

http://gma.yahoo.com/disabled-employ...opstories.html

He said he was fired on Sept. 20, 2010 for being one to two minutes late from his lunch break due to the fact that it took him longer to walk from the lunch room because of a limp.
    The suit, filed with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania on Sept. 14, said Herrmann was "severely injured in a car accident in 1992 that left his right hand, arm and leg disabled."
    His attorney, Emily Town of the law firm Stember Feinstein Doyle Payne & Kravec LLC , said Herrmann is a "hard worker who needed very minor accommodations for his obvious disabilities."

and

But when Herrmann's job was transferred to Bank of America's customer service department, he said his supervisors no longer allowed him "to take any time between calls to enter information into the computer system," which caused him to average three or four calls per hour and precluded his ability to receive bonuses.
    Because the favorable shifts were based on productivity and Herrmann struggled with his goals, he said he was assigned to a "less-favorable shift." Despite requesting being allowed to pause between calls, to be transferred to a department where less typing was involved, and to allow his performance criteria to account for the time he needed, he was refused, the suit states.
    Another reason to hate Bank of America more. I hope he wins this suit and I don't advocate lawsuits.

The ADA has been around for 20 years and crap like this still happens. What a shame!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

While I respect my disabled forefathers and all the sacrifice made for the ADA, for all intents and purposes it is weak legislation. Employers can really do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    While I respect my disabled forefathers and all the sacrifice made for the ADA, for all intents and purposes it is weak legislation. Employers can really do whatever they want.
    I do agree that it is weak legislation.

I have also been very lucky, I guess. My employers have always been very accommodating when I needed something even making arrangements for me to get to the building on snow days to avoid falling in the parking lot. Apartment complexes and the community college I went to were not.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown