Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Subpoena Today.....

When called for jury duty as a gimp, I went. And was out everytime on the first round of strikes. I answered the attorney's questions w/o bias (hoping to stay for the trial), and each time, out the door. I love jury duty...get to be in on some really cool gossip (small town), if nothing else. When I was AB, served on 2 juries, and had great cases (knife fight, and business owner with hand in the till). Fun to see how cops work a crime scene, lawyers bullshit the facts, and the judge does the deals.....good stuff!

I my body allowed me to serve on a jury i would but i dont think it would help the trial or those involved if they had to stop every so often to let me have a pee break or crap break lol

I just got a letter for jury duty a few weeks ago. I was supposed to go this week, but I went by the courthouse and asked to be taken off due to my current health issues and minor surgery on Monday. The person took my name down and told me it was okay to not show up for it, but that I would have to get a doctor's excuse and bring it by the court house when I get the chance. A few years ago when I was on it, I was able to just go by there and ask to be taken off. But the rules have changed in my area and we now have to have a doctor's excuse saying we can't serve. I personally wouldn't mind doing it. But it would be too difficult with having to cath regularly, not being able to move around for awhile and things of that nature. Now the reason is due to the stones. I never know if I will be having pain and problems after they are removed. Sometimes I do and other times I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    You should not be flashing the DISABLED CARD to get out of your civic duty.

When I became a US citizen they told us it was our civic duty to vote and serve on juries.

How are we going to gain acceptance as a normal part of society when so many of us feel we are "special"?
    At the time I requested the waiver I was pissing myself constantly. Sorry, but the prospect of being stuck on a jury panel marinating in my effluvia seemed a reasonable enough excuse for dismissal.

Do it if you are physically able. Quite apart from it's your duty as a citizen to serve, it can be a very rewarding and worthwhile experience - I've found it so.
    - Richard

I've been called for four rounds already. I know many people who've never been called. The last time I got the summons, I had to beg off because I'd just started a big project on a new job and they couldn't let me go. I was given a six-month reprieve. The next letter came EXACTLY six months after my reprieve date. So, off I went again. I actually find it kind of interesting.
    Last edited by truly; 09-21-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: speling...er, spellng....ah...spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    At the time I requested the waiver I was pissing myself constantly. Sorry, but the prospect of being stuck on a jury panel marinating in my effluvia seemed a reasonable enough excuse for dismissal.
    Too true, that would qualify as a cruel and unusual punishment.

Aside from it being my civic duty, jury duty is not interesting to me at all. I would rather do my civic duty in another way. Some years ago I was on a murder trail and the verdict was read and the mother of the accused screamed and it took so much out of me emotionally. I just don't like it period.
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

If it were me on trial, I would want people that care on the jury. Not someone who really did'nt care about what they were doing. If you are physically able to do it, it sounds like you would do a good job. I've served in the past, but would be unable to do it these days, and wish I could still serve. I know it can be a pain in the arse, and does'nt always fit into what we are doing.....but what if everyone got out of jury duty? I was taught it was a privledge to serve, and I still believe that.......

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I just got a letter for jury duty a few weeks ago. I was supposed to go this week, but I went by the courthouse and asked to be taken off due to my current health issues and minor surgery on Monday. The person took my name down and told me it was okay to not show up for it, but that I would have to get a doctor's excuse and bring it by the court house when I get the chance. A few years ago when I was on it, I was able to just go by there and ask to be taken off. But the rules have changed in my area and we now have to have a doctor's excuse saying we can't serve. I personally wouldn't mind doing it. But it would be too difficult with having to cath regularly, not being able to move around for awhile and things of that nature. Now the reason is due to the stones. I never know if I will be having pain and problems after they are removed. Sometimes I do and other times I don't.
    You can get a doctor's excuse in CT as well, but I only asked for one when it was truly a medical reason. To the OP, if you are able to go you should.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005