Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Subpoena Today.....

I live in a city of about 200K people. I got called for jury duty and when I asked if the jury boxes were wheelchair accessible, they told me to forget about it.

In this day and age, and a public building at that.

Why is it that you don't want to do jury duty? It is a diversion from the everyday and can be interesting.

Go ahead and be a scofflaw and get cited and fined for not doing jury duty. At least you can be sure they won't call a convicted jury duty skipper again.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Serve your civic duty if you are able. Otherwise, ask you doctor to provide an excuse. When I was AB I served. Now I cannot sit for long periods of time. I get a doctor's excuse.

I just get a doctors excuse do to the fact that I don't have to cath but I do go Often.

First time I was called was going to be in the middle of a 2 week cruise with 9 other people and had been booked for a year. Excused. I was put back into the jury pool. Got called again a year later just as I got my first pressure sore. Excused. I have been a registered voter my whole life and they call twice when I really couldn't go? They took me out of rotation for 5 years and now I'm in a new state so hopefully I'll be called again. To me jury duty is the benefit of a judicial system that is as fair as any in the world and one I served to protect.
    Follow the directions on the subpeona and explain to the judge why you didn't answer the questionnaires. And yes, they can send you to jail. I doubt they will but be prepared to serve on a jury coming up. If you cannot handle jury duty for medical reasons that is a reason to ask to be excused not to skip sending in the information requested or answering the questions. I would take the names of your doctors and their contact information with you to court in case the judge wants to contact them.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have served before BUT things have changed in our system here now you are on the hook for the entire year YOU have to call in (NOT TOLL FREE) every MONDAY a, m before 0800hrs to be told if you need to show up by 0900hrs if you forget to call & get excused YOU are bad guy. Very stressful and long weekend killer.

I went once and have not even bothered to respond to the other 4 or so I have recieved over the course of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I have served before BUT things have changed in our system here now you are on the hook for the entire year YOU have to call in (NOT TOLL FREE) every MONDAY a, m before 0800hrs to be told if you need to show up by 0900hrs if you forget to call & get excused YOU are bad guy. Very stressful and long weekend killer.
    An entire year? I know places that do this for a month. And most it is going in for a week. If you aren't chosen that day you're dismissed until the next day. Repeat for that week and done.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

It's your duty. Just be glad it isn't federal, you'd be hauling your ass to Brooklyn each morning.

I was excused when I asked if we were sequestered would I be Guaranteed an accessible ride and hotel?

It was many years ago.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrl View Post
    Here in new york they say no excuses, so when they sent me those questionaires I dont send them back so this is the reason for the subpoena. Then it says if I don't appear I will be fined, I don't see why they make it such a big deal.
    I live in NY and about 10 years ago or so had my doctor write a letter which permanently removed me from the jury duty list. I'm never contacted.

You should not be flashing the DISABLED CARD to get out of your civic duty.

When I became a US citizen they told us it was our civic duty to vote and serve on juries.

How are we going to gain acceptance as a normal part of society when so many of us feel we are "special"?