Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Got a Subpoena Today.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chrl View Post
    Aside from it being my civic duty, jury duty is not interesting to me at all. I would rather do my civic duty in another way. Some years ago I was on a murder trail and the verdict was read and the mother of the accused screamed and it took so much out of me emotionally. I just don't like it period.
    Well, you can often be excused for medical reasons especially if you are prone to pressure sores or have cathing problems. Most defendents don't want us on juries because their lawyers believe we're more likely to have had a bad experience as far as people injured by drunk drivers and the like. They rarely get sent to prison while we become unable to leave ours.

You have no choice about answering the subpoena now. You are probably being charged with contempt of court. You may wish to speak to an atttorney if your state is hard on upholding their no excuse rule. Many people don't like jury duty to the point some states now take their rolls not from registered voters but from drivers licenses. Show up dressed to address a judge and speak to him/her with respect. You may wind up serving in another manner and hopefully it won't be jail.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

just call them, they will excuse u without question.........did me..........

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Well, you can often be excused for medical reasons especially if you are prone to pressure sores or have cathing problems. Most defendents don't want us on juries because their lawyers believe we're more likely to have had a bad experience as far as people injured by drunk drivers and the like. They rarely get sent to prison while we become unable to leave ours.

You have no choice about answering the subpoena now. You are probably being charged with contempt of court. You may wish to speak to an atttorney if your state is hard on upholding their no excuse rule. Many people don't like jury duty to the point some states now take their rolls not from registered voters but from drivers licenses. Show up dressed to address a judge and speak to him/her with respect. You may wind up serving in another manner and hopefully it won't be jail.

I have no choice but to appear but I really hope I am not picked.
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

I salute you, sir. A murder trial is every thinking American's nightmare. You deserve a by.

Back when I was AB I told them I liked cops. My Dad had been one, long ago. That will get you off the prosecutor's list, even in Houston.

I wanted jury duty really bad. Damned cops.

This weekend a Houston cop shot an angry arm/leg amputee that was wielding an inkpen.

I have a love/hate thing for cops at this point. The sheriff of this tiny county was shot by a tweaker. Tweaker was tried. This is KS-tweaker is clearly in it for life, supposed to be shipped to TX. This month that verdict was overturned! Tweaker confessions are invalid b/c they are not in their right mind, and he should have pled the Fifth. God knows where they'll find jurors this time.

Also tweaker was his cousin, for extra drama.
    Last edited by betheny; 09-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.

What is a tweaker?

Methamphetamine addict.

What planet do you come from? Can I come over? I live in a tweaker nest. I stay on my 3 acres, pay my bills, respect the law. And no tweaker had ever better mess w/ me again. Not even blood relatives.

I am a veteran of the Breaking Bad 1980's. Shoot first ask questions later.

What? Planet Florida has no tweakers?? You reckon the cocaine killed them all first?

ETA: Meth is REALLY destructive. This new version is like crack w/ the high addiction factors. Tweakers, to me, are sketchier than crackheads. But I only ever met 1 crackhead.

Also, my dead alcoholic bro Del loved that sheriff. Dude was family and I never even met him. He certainly saved Del's ass better than I ever could. I once met his widow. I thanked her for that. She said "Matt really liked Del."

Gives me goosebumps. I hate them having to relive it.

Nope. On planet Florida I never heard of tweakers. I suppose we are still in the last century. Still affected by what comes from South America and the Caribbean, coke and pot.

Meth sucks! Lost a few to that way back a few decades ago, when we lived in the NY area.

Holy cow. There was a literal war in Miami 30 years ago, but you know no tweakers. That Cocaine Cowboys movie convinced me Miami was equivalent to Tijuana these days.

The meth cartels come up thru Mexico. Colombia must have not trained soldiers (capos) to replace Escobar etc.

Mexico took over their duty. Al Qaeda camps had nothing on modern cartels. There are seriously dangerous criminals in Mexico, some are govt. etc. If Central America isn't making it, Mexicans and Americans are. Here they clearly manufacture. They did in OK too, but the bodies piled up when the cartels got there. IME tweakers don't od. They do stupid things that kill them. I know some fairly old tweakers nowdays.

I never thought I'd live to see a suburban girl murdered and tortured to make a point for pimps/drug dealers.

We are going to realize someday that THIS was the war. We needed this. You can't give gangstas money and expect them to pay taxes, right?

Miami was such a bloodbath. RIP Scarface. You must watch Breaking Bad on A&E. Welcome to the 21st century. It sucks.