Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miralax dosage

Miralax dosage

I have been taking one Miralax/day for about 6 months. After a course of antibiotic I was getting combination of very loose stool and constipation about 6 weeks ago. I tried increasing Miralax to twice/day (which I used in the hospital), which solves the constipation but causes me to have to go about five times/day, very loose stool.

Can I just take a double dose of Miralax once/day instead of one dose twice/day?

BTW tried probiotics, and they worked for a while but then stopped. And try eating bananas and rice, no effect. I do not think I have Cdiff because there is no very foul odor or other symptoms.

Miralax works by causing water to be retained with the stool. This increases the number of bowel movements and softens the stool so it is easier to pass. So, the Miralax you are taking is working just as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    ...but causes me to have to go about five times/day, very loose stool.
    Miralax is habit forming. That said, try to find another way of managing your bowel program. Step up fiber in your diet and in supplement (Metamucil, Benefiber etc.) form. Drink plenty of fluids. Try using Magic Bullets or Enemeez mini enemas to promote peristalsis to move your bowels. Use habit forming laxatives only when absolutely necessary.

Edit: Generally, I don't think we understand how to take probiotics. From what I have read we should be taking a supplement that contains both lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. To maintain a healthy digestive tract we should take a supplement that provides 1 to 2 million colony forming units (CFU). To correct a problem, we should take a supplement that provides 10 million CFUs, taken for up to 2 weeks. It also matters how we take these supplements to get a proper balance of the strains. For instance, if we decide to take 5 million CFUs, then we should take a capsule containing 5 million CFUs not 5-1millions CFUs capsules. It is possible to take too much of a probiotic supplement. Side effects of taking too much are gas, bloating or even abdominal tenderness. Give these guidelines, you may need to take another look at probiotic supplements.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Miralax works by causing water to be retained with the stool. This increases the number of bowel movements and softens the stool so it is easier to pass. So, the Miralax you are taking is working just as it should.

Miralax is habit forming. That said, try to find another way of managing your bowel program. Step up fiber in your diet and in supplement (Metamucil, Benefiber etc.) form. Drink plenty of fluids. Try using Magic Bullets or Enemeez mini enemas to promote peristalsis to move your bowels. Use habit forming laxatives only when absolutely necessary.

All the best,
    GJ
    What do you mean by habit forming?
    I was having constipation for several months and I've tried many things but none seem to work. So, I try miralax and it works like wonder. I've been taken it since. 1 dose daily. Every morning I spend less time in the bathroom and don't have to irritate my rectum with too many digi stim like before. My only concern is it's pricey. A bottle good for 30 doses is abot $25. That's $25 a month extra that I have to spend.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
    What do you mean by habit forming?
    Some people can develop a dependency. That is to say that Miralax works at the initial recommended dose for a while. When it is perceived that it isn't working any more some people increase the dosage (amount of Miralax and how often it is taken) and so on and so on. When the dose is increased beyond the recommended dose for prolonged periods of time, side effects can develop like bloating, gas, cramping, nausea, diarrhea, hives and dependency (the need to keep taking more to achieve the same results).

All the best,
    GJ

Antibiotics can wipe out the flora of your interior GI tract - which in turn results in diarrhea. If you have diarrhea from taking antibiotics you should temporarily stop taking the medications for your bowel program. Probiotics are good to take when taking antibiotics to prevent diarrhea, they restore the flora of the intestinal tract.

I hope you feel better soon and get back to a regular bowel program. I agree with above comments that miralax may be too strong for a routine program.

pbr

just take it in smaller amount and keep your stool consistant not mooshy, nor concrete, i take about a 5th of the 17 grams they say as dosage and it's about like it used to be when ab and works great.........don't use as a laxative to make you go, just a softener.......better than the pills......or that's how i use it and its awesome.........

I appreciate these comments, but I was specifically looking to see if its ok to take twice the dose at once instead of one dose twice day.

I've tried everything else, including probiotics, Enemeez, (I still take bisacodyl), fiber supplements, softeners, and smaller Miralax doses.

All these things work for a while, then stop working, in my experience.

Miralax is the last chance for me. Some doctors I have seen already want to do a colostomy.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I appreciate these comments, but I was specifically looking to see if its ok to take twice the dose at once instead of one dose twice day.

I've tried everything else, including probiotics, Enemeez, (I still take bisacodyl), fiber supplements, softeners, and smaller Miralax doses.

All these things work for a while, then stop working, in my experience.

Miralax is the last chance for me. Some doctors I have seen already want to do a colostomy.
    From what I read on the package directions, the dosage is 17 grams of Ducolax powder in 4-8 ounces of water once a day. Has your physician prescribed that you take two 17 gram doses per day? If your physician has prescribed more than the normal dosage, it might be a good idea to ask his opinion about whether you can take the dosage all at one time.

The information below is from Drugs.com
    How should I take MiraLax (polyethylene glycol 3350)?

Use this medication exactly as directed on the label, or as it has been prescribed by your doctor. Do not use the medication in larger amounts or for longer than recommended.

To use the powder form of this medicine, measure your dose with the medicine cap on the bottle. This cap should contain dose marks on the inside of it. Pour the powder into 4 to 8 ounces of a cold or hot beverage such as water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea. Stir this mixture and drink it right away. Do not save for later use.

Polyethylene glycol 3350 should produce a bowel movement within 1 to 3 days of using the medication. Polyethylene glycol 3350 normally causes loose or even watery stools.
    Do not use polyethylene glycol 3350 more than once per day. Call your doctor if you are still constipated or irregular after using this medication for 7 days in a row. Store polyethylene glycol 3350 at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?

Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the dose you missed and take only the next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of this medication.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-21-2012 at 02:23 PM.

i couldn't imagine taking a double 17 gram dose, i wouldn't be nothing but fluid......

My wife used a double dose of Miralax for years. Docs & nurses all said it wouldn't create a problem.