Thread: Updating BIOS Without Floppy Disk

Updating BIOS Without Floppy Disk

Anyone know how?

I've got the proper files (Award BIOS for Intel GC11010N.86A from November 8 2005). Really old!

It says to download these files onto a bootable disk ... well currently my cranky ole desktop is not reading the DVD-ROM nor the USB ports properly and never had a floppy ... which is why I figured I needed to update the BIOS. I tried uploading the drivers for each but the system said they were up to date.

How do I do this without a floppy? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

My 3yr old laptop is in the shop right now getting a new lcd screen (kicking myself for not buying one on ebay and doing it myself .. but I know from experience that it's delicate work).

Should I give it up and move on? I hate the RAM in this thing anyways - the max is 2G.

I'd like to do a full swipe but if the drive isn't working now ... eeesh. Bit nervous on that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Well you don't need a floppy you need a disk that will boot into DOS that you can run the bios update utility from.

http://www.styma.org/bootcdrom/bootcdrom.shtml

(note this is a google search link, I haven't tried this exact method)

I doubt a bios update will solve your problem, but it can't hurt.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

I have always used ISOs and CDs as no floppy

With proprietary BIOS you can often do it via CD. They usually have a free as in [] MeS-DoS clone to run their updater. They could, if they wanted to also use the free syslinux boot loader which provides significant MeS-DoS capabilities.

You could build an ISO to run files from floppy image with syslinux. I have done this for my custom Microsoft Windows installer under Debian GNU/Linux.

With free and open systems such as http://www.coreboot.org/ you may have more options, but this not supported by system vendor so check your system is supported by coreboot first.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Anyone know how?

I've got the proper files (Award BIOS for Intel GC11010N.86A from November 8 2005). Really old!

It says to download these files onto a bootable disk ... well currently my cranky ole desktop is not reading the DVD-ROM nor the USB ports properly and never had a floppy ... which is why I figured I needed to update the BIOS. I tried uploading the drivers for each but the system said they were up to date.

How do I do this without a floppy? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

My 3yr old laptop is in the shop right now getting a new lcd screen (kicking myself for not buying one on ebay and doing it myself .. but I know from experience that it's delicate work).

Should I give it up and move on? I hate the RAM in this thing anyways - the max is 2G.

I'd like to do a full swipe but if the drive isn't working now ... eeesh. Bit nervous on that.
    when usb and disk drives stop working alot of times thats a virus blocking access to them so you can't remove them
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan