Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer slowed down

Computer slowed down

I have had a Toshiba Satelite laptop for several years and it performed okay. Now it runs very slow particularly on the Internet. I have tried defragging, chdsk, and running malware and anti virus programs with no success. I hate to bring it to a repair shop which will charge me more then it is worth. I am not running any memory consuming programs. Any ideas?
    mike

probably wore it out...!!! they actuall have a wear life, u could flush it and reload and see if that helps......may pull the hdd and put an ssd in it would help......if it would take a ssd or more ram.....just have to look it up on the web and see what all it will upgrade too, might even try a bios flash..........

You running both anti-virus and anti-spam? Some people load so much protection on their computer it can barely function. If you can, backup all your stuff and reload the Windows from scratch. Better yet load Ubuntu on it if you want it to run fast. If "several years" is more than 4 or you are running XP, give it up. Windows keeps updating (and you have to take the updates for security reasons) and your machine will get slower and slower.

and laptops are so cheap, even the low end ones are still 4 times as fast or powerful to say, than one 4 yrs old...........

XP Pack 3 is still supported by Microsoft till 2014 , if u have anything older than that , then just chuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I have had a Toshiba Satelite laptop for several years and it performed okay. Now it runs very slow particularly on the Internet. I have tried defragging, chdsk, and running malware and anti virus programs with no success. I hate to bring it to a repair shop which will charge me more then it is worth. I am not running any memory consuming programs. Any ideas?
    Hello Mike,

I use a program named ccleaner.exe. You can download it for free and does an excellent job of cleaning your hard-drive and registry. I have recommended it to several friends and they were amazed at the difference it made in their comp0uters.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Speed Problem

I am using Windows XP and have been since I purchased the laptop. I have also used malware removal programs such as cc cleaner
    mike

bleepingcomputer.com

1) Rkill

2) Unhide

3) Fix exec

4) Combofix

In that order. Be sure to disable antivirus for ten or so minutes when you run Combofix.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by lakboy View Post
    XP Pack 3 is still supported by Microsoft till 2014 , if u have anything older than that , then just chuck it.
    It is not XP that is slow it is the machines that came installed with XP usually can no longer run the latest versions of IE, Flash, etc. If you can put in more memory (sometime hard and/or expensive on a laptop) you might be able to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    bleepingcomputer.com

1) Rkill

2) Unhide

3) Fix exec

4) Combofix

In that order. Be sure to disable antivirus for ten or so minutes when you run Combofix.
    be careful with combo fix it deleted something that stopped all programs from starting i had to do a restore.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer