Thread: MRI problem

MRI problem

I'm a quad at C5 level, and i write to diferent clinics (Beijing, Novosibirsk, Lisabonn). They all ask me a MRI. The neurosurgeon told me that he used a mixture of steel. He had decompressed my spinal cord putting 3 screw over and below the injury site working on a metallic bar and doing a corpectomia in the place of injury. Moreover he told me that it's better to leave in the fixation if it does not create problems.

I wish to try a treatment. what should i do next?

tkx for the time

My Back surgeon told me never to have another MRI. He said that the magnetic field would try to pull it out. I have metal plate 4 screws and a titanium basket where my T-12 was

cypress, there are a variety of opinions on the subject and two issues that you need to consider. The first is that the presence of an iron-containing metal will distort the magnetic field and introduce artifacts that may obscure images of the spinal cord. The second issue is the possibility that the strong magnetic fields may dislodge a screw or other iron-containing constructs. The latter is controversial and depends on the actual iron/steel in the metallic material used to stabilize your spinal fracture site. In general, once the fracture has healed, the bone should be solid and removal of the screws or bars should not destabilize the fracture site. Surgeons, however, are usually reluctant to remove the prosthetic devices if they are not causing any problems. Please note that metal, depending on its location, may also interfere with CT scan images but, because CT scans do not involve a magnetic field, should not be loosened or moved as a result of a CT scan. Sometimes, a CT scan may still show an adequate image of the bones around the spinal column and show the spinal cord.

I don't know whether an MRI scan is absolutely necessary for the decision to do surgery. Some kind of imaging, however, is necessary because the surgeon needs to make sure that there is no cyst or other obstacles that might interfere with surgery. However, Dr. Huang has been using small laminctomies above and below the injury site to expose the spinal cord for transplantation. As long as he can tell where the spinal cord is on the images that there is still some continuity of the spinal cord at the injury site, he generally has been willing to tranpslant.

I would suggest that you write to the doctors again and explain your situation and see what they say.

Wise.