Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HC Bathroom Stall

HC Bathroom Stall

I avoid public bathrooms as much as possible but sometimes "when ya gotta go, ya gotta go". With that said, what is the bathroom etiquette with HC bathroom stalls? I always thought it was if there was another non-handicapped (NHC) bathroom stall open then NHC people should use it. However, if there is a line then it's a first come, first serve basis. Lately, however, I have noticed NHC people using the HC stalls even when multiple NHC stalls are open.

A few weeks ago I had to go to the bathroom in Target and the only person in the bathroom was using the HC stall while five NHC stalls stood open. I waited and when the person came out I gave her my best dirty look. She actually stopped and said, "Don't give me attitude. My cousin is in a wheelchair and she can use a regular stall. You obviously don't have to go that bad." (not an exact quote).

REALLY? Is this where we are at?
    Obviously, this is just a rant post but it has been bothering me ever since it happened.

E

when particularly snarky I "park" myself in front of the stall trapping them saying my brake is stuck when they cannot pass me by. "We best call management and explain how you're trapped in the handicapped stall, maybe they'll send the fire department!" Actually had the woman crawl underneath. Only did this once I was young and foolish as truly you never know who is behind the stall.

In this case I would have stated something along the effects that you didn't realize her gene pool contained morons and you were sorry by all means that she did require all that space for her ego.

Alas we must Monday quarterback a lot as we're appalled the human condition is at times quite selfish.
    Let it go and fight the bigger battles.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

True. Most of the time I just ignore it hoping my presence will guilt people who don't need the stall from using it again or I convince myself that the seemingly able bodied person has a disorder that affects their strength or balance. Sometimes, however..... argh!

And while I am on a rant... if I hear the words, "You are such an inspiration!" from one more stranger, I swear...

E

I always roll up to the door and try to open it as if I didn't realize they were in there and so that they can see a wheelchair is trying to get in. It usually speeds them along and creates an awkward smile when they come out. My mom was in town last week and we spent the day out shopping. Both times that we went to the restroom someone was sitting in the HC stall. My mom was amazed at how long we have to wait around for a stall when all the NHC stalls are open. She was appalled. Welcome to my life, I told her!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I always roll up to the door and try to open it as if I didn't realize they were in there and so that they can see a wheelchair is trying to get in. It usually speeds them along and creates an awkward smile when they come out. My mom was in town last week and we spent the day out shopping. Both times that we went to the restroom someone was sitting in the HC stall. My mom was amazed at how long we have to wait around for a stall when all the NHC stalls are open. She was appalled. Welcome to my life, I told her!
    That's a good idea. I've never thought of that but since this is a problem I run in to all the time I will try this next time. Oh, sorry, didn't realize you were in there. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    I avoid public bathrooms as much as possible but sometimes "when ya gotta go, ya gotta go". With that said, what is the bathroom etiquette with HC bathroom stalls? I always thought it was if there was another non-handicapped (NHC) bathroom stall open then NHC people should use it. However, if there is a line then it's a first come, first serve basis. Lately, however, I have noticed NHC people using the HC stalls even when multiple NHC stalls are open.

A few weeks ago I had to go to the bathroom in Target and the only person in the bathroom was using the HC stall while five NHC stalls stood open. I waited and when the person came out I gave her my best dirty look. She actually stopped and said, "Don't give me attitude. My cousin is in a wheelchair and she can use a regular stall. You obviously don't have to go that bad." (not an exact quote).

Obviously, this is just a rant post but it has been bothering me ever since it happened.

E
    I would have looked her straight in the eye and said: Being in a wheelchair is not a "one size fits all" disability. I am paralyzed and I actually CAN'T pee just like I CAN'T use the tiny stall. I have to stick a tube in myself to go. I also cannot just stand up and take a few steps to get to the toilet. Just because your cousin can use a non-handicapped stall does not mean that I can. Why can't you use the non-handicapped stall or is your ass too big to fit in there?

I like Liz's answer too.

I don't use a wheelchair yet but have to have the grab bars. Also the lower toilets are a big problem. Nothing like getting in there and can't pull yourself up off the toilet. Sometimes a narrow stall will have the grab bars so I won't use the wide ones.

I have only been one place which had signs that told users to NOT use these stalls unless you have a disability. At the bottom, it said small children and large body habitus are not considered a disability.

That woman has a serious attitude problems.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

At pools and airports the HC stall is usually occupied by folks who think the extra room is perfect for changing their clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post

I have only been one place which had signs that told users to NOT use these stalls unless you have a disability. At the bottom, it said small children and large body habitus are not considered a disability.
    I honestly do not mind if NHC people use the HC stall IF there is no other stall open.

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post

E
    I hardly ever use public restrooms when I'm out, but when absolutely have to, most of the time I do notice the handicapped stall occupied, when there are plenty of open regular stalls. When that does happen I usually speak in a loud tone and say I sure hope with all these other open stalls that the person in that handicapped stall is handicapped. Then I'll knock on the stall door and ask them if they are going to be long, because I'm in a wheelchair and that's the only stall in can get in. Most of the time people move their asses and quickly get the hell out of there.

Check this out, a little while back in a Walmart Super Center bathroom while I was waiting for someone to come out of the stall an older big black man was at the sinks washing his hands and he noticed me waiting and he yelled to the person in the handicapped stall "Hurry up and stop fucking around in there, a man in a wheelchair has to get in there." lol

As for what that woman said to you, I sure hope you said something back to her. I probably would of have told that rude Bitch, I'll give you attitude if I want, what the Fuck are you going to do about it? What in the hell does your cousin being able to use the regular stalls have to do with me? Oh that's right it has absolutely nothing to do with me. Also, unless you have psychic powers, how in the Fuck do you know how bad I have to go to the bathroom?

I run into this all the time. It is usually someone using the big stall to take a big nasty dump. Everytime. Just my luck.

I think parking in front of the door and locking up the brakes is a good trick. I'll give it a try. If that woman had said that to me (my ...is in a wheelchair...) they would have been picking paper towels out of her mouth for weeks.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess