Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Questions for Icon Users

@jschism I drive a Mazda Miata and a Speed3. In both cases I flip the chair over me into the passenger seat.
    @scott lol. Ok, so suspension is not like floating on air (not that I would know). Speaking of "unofficial" mods, could an after market CF seat be added? Perhaps one with cutouts to cut down on weight more.
    E

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    How do you load your chair in a car? The Icon will certainly be the best performing chair and the suspension is great. If I drove a car, I would be still using my Icon. Driving a SUV and reaching so far for the chair, I do notice a difference in the weight between my Icon and TR3. Truthfully I don't miss the suspension much, but the handling I certainly do. The Icon just kinda "floats" over the ground and maneuvers so easy.
    I saw your TR3. The back is welded and I am sure you knew the exact specs you wanted when you ordered it yet you still say the ICON is a better performing chair? How is that possible? So, weight was the deciding factor for you for getting the new TR3 (or are you a wheelchair junkie )?
    E

the Icon's seat is structural; an aftermarket option is possible if you have some mad fabrication skills, but the CF version is super light already.

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    @Jeff-
    Every response you give makes me want an ICON more. Being on the smaller side it would be nice to raise myself higher in certain situations.
    Essie, just be aware that Jeff doesn't have any brakes on his chair, so adjusting his RSH doesn't involve adjusting the brakes. I can only adjust my son's RSH by about 1" before I need to adjust the brakes (something that I try to avoid doing, as it is a painful process trying to ensure that both brakes are exactly lined up the same).

As for your questions, I will answer on behalf of my son...
    1. Back angle adjusted most days (very easy to do even while in the chair). Front end "length" adjusted occasionally (we've fitted the QR clamps as mentioned by Scott...particularly useful if you want to take the chair apart to fit it into small car spaces). Wheel camber now adjusted to their maximum angle, but I can see benefits of us changing back to 0 deg in places where width is an issue. Easily changed, but not something you would do regularly.

2. Can't comment, as insurance wasn't involved.

3. Suspension and adjustability (for both daily adjustments and future growth). And ability to break it down into small components as mentioned above.

4. Adjusting the damn brakes whenever you adjust the seat height! (I can see justification for hub locks here!)

Cheers.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Out of curiosity, what seat & back are you using w/ the Icon? CF?

I have the laminate seat + aluminum ADI back & I'm tempted to upgrade someday to shave some pounds off.
    I have the CF seat and was using the ADI CF back with the fixed hardware that is now on my TR3.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I saw your TR3. The back is welded and I am sure you knew the exact specs you wanted when you ordered it yet you still say the ICON is a better performing chair? How is that possible? So, weight was the deciding factor for you for getting the new TR3 (or are you a wheelchair junkie )?
    E
    The weight of the Icon is low and mostly under your butt, so the balance is so good it makes the handling of the chair superb. No other chair will match that.
    I still use the Icon around the house, but yes, I use the TR3 when out and about because it is lighter and easier for me to load. I'm driving a SUV and I'm having to reach down pretty far to pull my chair in and load it, so the little bit of extra weight makes a difference in my stability and not falling out on my head. In a car that wouldn't be an issue so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Essie, just be aware that Jeff doesn't have any brakes on his chair, so adjusting his RSH doesn't involve adjusting the brakes. I can only adjust my son's RSH by about 1" before I need to adjust the brakes (something that I try to avoid doing, as it is a painful process trying to ensure that both brakes are exactly lined up the same).
    Thanks for the response! The one major disadvantage you mentioned, the brakes, doesn't pertain to me... I don't use them either.

E

@scott... shucks, you're right (again... you're going to give me a complex)! While I took a few ME classes getting my Chem degree I doubt I have any "mad fabrication skills". My prosthetist, on the other hand, does have those skills. In the end I am trying to save money (I suppose I should stop assuming insurance won't pay for an ICON and just submit as wanted). Are you using your ICON as an everyday chair?

@anyone Does anyone know the weight difference between the CF seat versus the laminate?

E

@anyone Does anyone know the weight difference between the CF seat versus the laminate?
    E
    Exactly the question I would like answered. I have a demo chair with the laminate seat, and it's just too heavy for me to load as configured. I'm leaning away from the Icon for this reason, but I'm hoping that the CF seat can make it competitive again, as I really like the chair in every other way.
    I understand that the Icon isn't the chair for everyone, but I really want it to be for me.

I thought of another question:

When I load my chairs I pull them over my chest (and up) into the passenger seat with the caster wheels clearing the steering wheel. It is likely that my RSH will be at the lowest possible setting. Will I have problems clearing the underside of the ICON with the steering wheel?

E