Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Questions for Icon Users

Icon Questions for Icon Users

(Jeff, feel free to chime in)

1. Is this chair adjustable "by the day"? For example, when I go to a concert or to the city I may want to change my setting versus when I am work (smooth floors, no obstacles). Can I easily do this or is it more like a normal adjustable chair where you find your sweet spot and keep it there for a long period of time?

2. Have you been able to easily get private insurance to pay for it if justified by PT/SMS?

3. What is the thing you like most about the chair?

4. What is your least favorite aspect of the chair?

I have an email to the PT right now asking for her to look into the chair and the possibility of demoing one. I do not know how she will respond. When I originally spoke to her about the Icon she was less than enthusiastic as all of the upgrade justifications are based on getting the lowest possible weight because of the numerous daily car transfers I do (and my bad shoulder). She does not see the advantage to considering a heavier chair.

E
    PS eventually I will order a new chair

1. Some adjustments are, and some will require a wrench (I keep a set in the car). What are you looking to do? I typically don't mess w/ mine on a regular basis, as it's dialed-in how I like it.

2. That answer is honestly going to depend on your insurance coverage.

3. The suspension & the ability to keep the geometry ideal if I change wheel/tire sizes (both front & rear – done this already).

4. The lack of ergo seating. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but I miss it from one of my old chairs.

Where are you located? i.e., is a dealer nearby for you to try one in-person?

1. I change my back angle by the hour (I'm doing it now as I'm typing!!)

I just changed my seat angle/rsh because I was doing a talk with a stand-up reception, so I boosted my self up by about 3".

2. We've had success with insurance companies, but as Scott said, it comes down to who is pushing to get the reimbursement done (and often how good they are at making the justification arguments), and the insurance company.

3. Suspension - I'll never use another chair that doesn't have suspension, it's a game-changer.

4. It only comes in black.

The Icon weighs around 14lbs transfer weight - this is in line with the ZR series for similarly equipped chairs (solid seat). The only chairs that are significantly lighter are the Lasher MG and the Panthera - even the Q7, when equipped with suspension is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    4. The lack of ergo seating. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but I miss it from one of my old chairs.
    Try making your own. It's cheap, and works well.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Try making your own. It's cheap, and works well.
    Thanks Chas. Looks functional for sure (& kudos for that), but...

1. I need a low rear STF height. That'd raise me more than I prefer.

2. Using lumber to modify a high-end chair is a bit of an insult to the engineers behind Icon's design (who I've met).

Just my opinion. No offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Thanks Chas. Looks functional for sure (& kudos for that), but...

1. I need a low rear STF height. That'd raise me more than I prefer.

2. Using lumber to modify a high-end chair is a bit of an insult to the engineers behind Icon's design (who I've met).

Just my opinion. No offense intended.
    No offense taken I don't worry about weight too much (nor offending engineers - I am one). I'm sure a light-weight CF version could (should?) be easily made by a skilled person. I just wanted to see whether or not I liked Ergo seating - consider mine a prototype. I do like Ergo seating, but TiLite's ergo option eliminates lock-down backs, solid seat pans, and fold-down side guards, all of which I like. So, even though I like Ergo seating, I will never order the factory version. I will just order an appropriate RSH knowing I will use my Ergo insert. (I lowered my RSH when I began using the insert.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

@Scott-
    Thank you for all your replies to my posts. I know it appears as though I vacillate back and forth between the ZR, TR3, and ICON but I see so many advantages and disadvantages between all three. The biggest reason however, is I want an ICON more than the Tilites but keep talking myself out of it of fear (not necessarily reality) of insurance obstacles and weight.

One of the biggest changes I make day to day is whether I wear my leg or not. I optimize my chair (front end angle and COG) for without my leg and then just deal with the differences/discomfort when I do wear my leg. The other big change I would like to be able to make is back angle. Right now I optimize for work then manage the pain the remainder of the time (my back muscles are rather finicky and go into spasm easily, as does my leg, resulting in significant phantom pain and "shooters").

@Jeff-
    Every response you give makes me want an ICON more. Being on the smaller side it would be nice to raise myself higher in certain situations. Is suspension really that great? I have always been against it, although I have never sat in a suspension chair, as I never thought I would like the floaty feel. I think like the "feel" of the road although my back does not. Again, maybe I would feel differently if I tried it.

YES! I agree, black... BORING. Not only that but chairs, IMHO, appear more clunky in black. Yet, I am sure I would either become used to it or find a way to rectify the situation.

As far as weight, the literature for both the TR3 and ZR2 state 9.3 lbs "...on 16” x 16” wheelchairs (12” x 12” for youth chairs) with all standard features except rear wheels...". I agree if they were equipped in line with the ICON their weights would likely be more than the ICON but my original plan was not to have this extra equipment. It's a difficult argument for me to make to myself. I try to make it this way: It's like electric windows on a car. Before I had them I did not need them, now I can't imagine having crank windows.

@Chaas
    Please do not add another thing for me to research and obsess over This is why I only get a new chair after the old one is beyond repair. I have to admit I waited too long this time and, much to my chagrin and with Valium and Percs, find myself stuck in an 18" x 18" hospital chair until I get a new one.

Best Regards,
    E

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    How do you load your chair in a car? The Icon will certainly be the best performing chair and the suspension is great. If I drove a car, I would be still using my Icon. Driving a SUV and reaching so far for the chair, I do notice a difference in the weight between my Icon and TR3. Truthfully I don't miss the suspension much, but the handling I certainly do. The Icon just kinda "floats" over the ground and maneuvers so easy.

The back angle is adjustable w/o tools, as is the front-end "angle" if you swap the clamps that hold the front-end in place that come w/ the A1 with some quick-release seat post clamps for bicycles. It's not an officially supported modification, but will get the job done.

Re: suspension: do you not feel the road when riding in a car? Suspension will certainly soak up the bumps, but it's not quite like floating on air, if you've ever done that.

Re: black frames: think of it as a color that goes with anything you wear. All my chairs have been black (or dark & neutral) for the past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I do notice a difference in the weight between my Icon and TR3.
    Out of curiosity, what seat & back are you using w/ the Icon? CF?

I have the laminate seat + aluminum ADI back & I'm tempted to upgrade someday to shave some pounds off.