Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chin throttle for Quadriplegics (or other people with their hands full..?)

Chin throttle for Quadriplegics (or other people with their hands full..?)

A number of quads have purchased, or tested, the Power Pod, and most have got excellent hand coordination. However, other quads have asked me if there might be a better solution for them. Well, I put my two brain cells together and came up with this:

I won't pretend it is anything more than it is. Total cost of the parts is under $5. BUT I have taken it on over 50 miles of test riding and the damn thing works.

I will now include it in any Power Pods where it is asked for, for free.

I have not modified the throttle itself, so the internal spring shuts it closed when you move your chin. As such this is really SAFE.

Anyway, I put a video together for it. I am looking forward to getting some real quads to give it a go, I really think they will like it.

Last edited by MarkB701; 08-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Hi Mark, Very exciting news! Thank you for your efforts in devising a modification. Possibly paras would prefer using it too? I agree with you that a soft rubber or foam would be a good idea for the throttle switch. I’ll send you an e-mail

Super cool mod, Mark.

One question, though: don't people with no chin have feelings, too?!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Looks really good Mark. Now there's a way everyone can ride. The PP is even more incredible with the chin throttle or chirottle.

I noticed you have your battery pack on the rack rather than the bike. Is that safe or does it make the PP top heavy.

I'm liking the extra 12vlt batterypack. Doubles the wattage of the motor. I've got close to a 1000 miles with the PP, no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Looks really good Mark. Now there's a way everyone can ride. The PP is even more incredible with the chin throttle or chirottle.

I noticed you have your battery pack on the rack rather than the bike. Is that safe or does it make the PP top heavy.

I'm liking the extra 12vlt batterypack. Doubles the wattage of the motor. I've got close to a 1000 miles with the PP, no problems at all.
    Lol @ Chirottle....Sam and I were trying to come up with something catchy to call it.....

And yes, you can mount the 12v Booster pack on the rear rack. It is just the 36v that is too heavy to go back there safely. And yes, the extra 12v makes such a big difference, much more than one would have though. And very glad you are cycling so much...me too, I am racking up those miles big time

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Super cool mod, Mark.
    x2. kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    Lol @ Chirottle....Sam and I were trying to come up with something catchy to call it.....

And yes, you can mount the 12v Booster pack on the rear rack. It is just the 36v that is too heavy to go back there safely. And yes, the extra 12v makes such a big difference, much more than one would have though. And very glad you are cycling so much...me too, I am racking up those miles big time
    Yup, I can attest to the merits of that extra 12v. I did end up mounting a metal wire basket to the platform and the batteries in a gym bag -- makes it easy to load/unload the batteries as needed. And yes, cool mod - kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by kleonin View Post
    Yup, I can attest to the merits of that extra 12v. I did end up mounting a metal wire basket to the platform and the batteries in a gym bag -- makes it easy to load/unload the batteries as needed. And yes, cool mod - kudos.
    Hey Keith, I"m glad you picked a metal basket to carry those batteries in....I was a bit worried when I saw the plastic one you were going to use....safety first!

And that is a good mod you made....I bet other people would like to use that.

BTW, my chin still hurts.

So last night I drilled a hole in the thumb part of the throttle and have attached a nice piece of black leather to the thum-throttle, about 1/4 the size of a credit card. It fits nice and snugly under the chin and would be much more comfortable. Perfect!

I will include this in the free kit too....(Sam didn't really need that nice leather belt anyway)

Someone suggested taking the spring out of the chin throttle (to make it more comfortable), but I think this would not be safe. No disresctin' the quads intended (they do have feelings), but I don't need you guys panicing and trying to close the throttle with your chins while trying to swerve to avoid a crash....!!!!

SAFETY FIRST...!!!
    Last edited by MarkB701; 08-21-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Mark, this seems like a great idea and how nice of you to make it free to those who need it. I've really enjoyed my powerpod and am always recommending it to people. If it can get higher level quads out there riding, even better. The bike I'd recommend for higher level quads is the top end excellerator as you can stop quickly by simply back pedaling with the internal 7 speed hub. Or if someone wanted to spend more money and have more of a agile bike, Bike-on.com does now offer a special braking system where you can back pedal to brake on a regular 27 speed or 21 speed derailer handcycle and even offers a specially designed handcycle for quads. It was Andy Barkers idea to originally do this (Rest in peace Andy) and I'm pretty sure it was him who came up with the cool braking system too that Bike-on has patent pending and sells.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred