Thread: Powerchair Controller

Powerchair Controller

Hi, im some what new here as I havent posted much but have read plenty of threads. Im in need of some help if you could please, Thanks

I have a quickie groove powerchair that i've had for a few years now. The Joystick is really wobbly now and the chair tends to wander if I do not hold on to the joystick. My question is if I buy another controller will it work as a plug n play on my chair? The one I found is a Delphi just like mine and they look alike. Mine although, also controls tilt will this be a problem?

Hi Josh,

I asked my DME something similar and he said if the pins line up then it should work. Have you tried having your controller reprogrammed? The "wobble" left and right is programmable as it the balance of your two motors.

I hope this helps.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thanks for the help. You pushed my doubts aside about ordering it. I was pretty sure it would work just thought I would get some input... As for the wobble, The joystick is worn out. Actually the spring i believe that keeps it center. So when i turn left or right the joystick stays left or right keeping my chair moving in that direction. Not sure if my description is very well i could always post a pic if needed.

Josh, I hope that you have contacted a Quickie rep and know that the replacement part you need is not available. Since you obviously cannot check the pin alignment prior to purchasing the part, make sure you can return it for a refund if it does not work.

Another route would be to find some one who is comfortable taking the part apart. If it really is a spring, they are cheep. If the problem is more complicated, this person can swap the connectors so the pins fit or swap pieces of the controller.

Does your chair have any other issues? How old is it? I am sure you are aware that they do not last forever. It may very well be that your chair is hitting the limit of its life cycle. If this is the case, you are best served to replace it (no matter how well it has served you in the past). I understand that the manufacturer has designed a planned replacement timeline to promote sales of new chairs and this really sucks when they stop offering replacement parts but you will find that once it starts, it does not end it age is a factor.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09