Thread: Question about Quickie Q7 Aluminum Side Guards

Question about Quickie Q7 Aluminum Side Guards

I'm having a slight issue with my aluminum side guards on my Quickie Q7. The hardware that attaches them to the back posts is twisting whenever you adjust your back angle or fold down the back. It is causing the back to get caught when you unfold the back and is also causing the side guards to warp and wear.

Here is a photo of what I am trying to describe. The red arrow is showing the hardware that is twisting. I have tightened it as much as possible. The yellow arrow is showing one of the side guards warping and scraping from the bolts and washer that slide along it when the back folds down.

Attachment 46560

I hope my fellow CCer's have a suggestion about my little issue. I gets really frustrating when I'm out and about and I'm fighting with my chair. I've taken to keeping a pair of pliers in the car to twist it back in place before I unfold the back.
    Mimi

Not owning a Q7, your pic is hard for me to understand. Are these the parts involved?
    Attachment 46561
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Not owning a Q7, your pic is hard for me to understand. Are these the parts involved?
    Attachment 46561
    Yes, those are the parts involved.
    Mimi

What I'd try is loosening bolts (11), dribbling a little Blue Loctite between the backrest and the clamps (3&4), tightening it back up, then letting it set overnight.

Better yet, I'd remove the clamps, carefully and very lightly rough sand (80 grit) the clamp insides and the tube where the clamps attach, apply Loctite gingerly to the bolts and clamping surfaces, tighten them all up, and let it set overnight.

I'd also make sure that bolt 5 slides along the guards easily; and maybe even put a tiny bit of grease on the sliding surfaces.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'll try that Chas. Thank you alot for responding to my question. Do you think I should get the warped sideguard replaced so that bolt #5 will slide more easily.
    Mimi

Probably
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I found that if the bolts aren't loose or tight enoght or you don't leave the side guard enough room to play it will have this issue. Might want to talk to your dealer or sunrise first before doing anything. It might be a simple fix.