Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair seat?

Wheelchair seat?

On getting a new chair is there any danger on getting a solid seat to sit on? What happens on an incline - steep? Can you slide off? Real goal is build chair as solid as possible. Any suggestions there?

My chairs have had solid seats for over 30 years. First started by placing a piece of appleboard in the bottom of my cushion cover.

I've never slipped off it other than the occassional drunk in my early years but that wasn't the solid seats fault.

For me a solid seat is a must as there's no sag and gives a good level base for my cushion and posture. Main thing is to have a good cushion.

I love my solid seat pan; I will never go back to a sling. My chair does have 3" dump, though, so I bet that helps keep me in it; and my cushion attaches to the pan with significant patches of Velcro, so it doesn't slide at all.

Be aware if you're used to sitting in a sling, a solid pan will raise your RSH 0.5-1.5" depending on how tight you keep your sling.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I am planning no cushion and solid seat. This is real question for slipping off on an severe angle. 45 degreer steep driveway.

No cushion?? You might indeed slip off a solid pan whenever the slope angle is close to or greater than your dump.

I would not be comfortable (physically or mentally) sitting on a solid pan with no cushion. . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Do you have a death wish by pressure sore?

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I am planning no cushion and solid seat. This is real question for slipping off on an severe angle. 45 degreer steep driveway.
    That is not a good plan even if you have function and sensitive in your butt, put on the solid seat a mini cushion like this kind or a layer of sponge or this and fixed to the seat with velcro.

Thanks a million for info and ideas. I will be looking. Another question though, couldn't the sliding be altered by having a much higher frame front than rear, essentially holding you in the chair as opposed to a relatively small difference here (angled seat vs flat)?

I definately wanted to hear a reply from someone initially amswering these questions. Thanx again.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Thanks a million for info and ideas. I will be looking. Another question though, couldn't the sliding be altered by having a much higher frame front than rear, essentially holding you in the chair as opposed to a relatively small difference here (angled seat vs flat)?
    That's what's called "dump," "seat rake," or "seat angle." It's the difference between Front Seat Height (FSH) and Rear Seat Height (RSH).

This pic shows a chair with RSH=15" and FSH=17.5". The dump is 2.5" (17.5-15).

Attachment 46604

Typically, larger dumps are used by people with diminished trunk control to help them stay in their chairs. I have decent trunk control, but use 3" of dump to keep my footrest off the ground (FSH), but also keep my fingertips near my axles (RSH) for the sake of pushing efficiency.

Dumps greater than about 4" are generally considered dramatic; I think because dumps that large can potentially cause permanent damage to one's body.

When dramatic dumps are used, an ergo seat frame may be appropriate to help maintain posture. Such is way beyond my level of amateur expertise. Consulting a professional seating clinician is appropriate.

IMO such consultation is also appropriate for people wanting to go without a cushion

Attachment 46605
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-22-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>