Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

So what's your verdict SCI_OTR...are you keeping that demo, or giving it back?!?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

How loud is the motor? How quiet, or not, is it when it's just "idling?"

Do you think it would work equally as well for a hemiplegic who uses one arm for steering?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Even though it lacks the programmability of e-motion wheels, it may be more-suitable for many users who have ataxia/dysmetria because it uses the overall acceleration/deceleration of the entire chair to determine whether to provide power. Other power assist systems are triggered by effort applied at each pushrim which can result in the uneven application of power. If you can self-propel in a straight path with regular wheels, you will propel in a straight path with the SmarrtDrive.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

More info available? I guess it would not have traction in snowy conditions, am I right?
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Only problem I see like most of these things for me is cost. But the concept opens more doors.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Only problem I see like most of these things for me is cost. But the concept opens more doors.
    At more than 6000$, it is indeed a hard price to swallow and it could lead to a low adoption rate.

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    At more than 6000$, it is indeed a hard price to swallow and it could lead to a low adoption rate.
    The second poster said it's VA approved, I bet they will sell if true, just not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    The second poster said it's VA approved, I bet they will sell if true, just not to me.
    Sorry, Canadian perspective here.

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    Sorry, Canadian perspective here.
    We are on the same page. I won't have one at half that price anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    You would be correct McDuff.

To address sowseng's comment about it having no tire or track. The weight of the unit itself is only 11 lbs. so there is relatively little weight on the drive wheel itself. How the unit is being used will determine how quickly the rubber wears out.

When using push stroke activation, the energy needed to accelerate to a given speed is provided by the push stroke of the user. During this time, the SmartDrive is essentially being pulled along and the user is providing the energy needed to overcome rolling resistance. Once the desired speed is attained, the SmartDrive simply kicks in to provide whatever force is necessary to maintain that speed.

When using push button activation the energy required to overcome rolling resistance and accelerate up to speed is provided by the SmartDrive itself. Instead of being pulled along, the unit is actually pushing the user/wheelchair until the desired speed is obtained. It is logical that there will be more wear on the rubber if it is being used in push button activation mode.

As for sowseng's concern about the lack of tire and track, the drivewheel was designed so that the rollers on the left and right half are offset--giving it sufficient traction for its intended use. The rubber rollers are also designed to be replaced when they wear out.The rubber segments themselves also rotate freely. This is a pretty clever aspect of the design because it allows the user to easily turn their chair in a tight radius with minimal friction between the drive wheel and the ground.

Actually, when the power is off, I notice its presence the most when I am pushing forward. I feel the "bump-bump-bump" of the individual rollers. I would probably keep a small bungee cord to suspend the drive wheel off the ground using my rigidizer bar if I were going someplace where I didn't need to use it, but didn't want to take it completely off. For example rolling a couple of blocks from my house to the bookstore.
    did you have a preference for push stroke activiation vs push button activation? especially curious how long it took you to have a feel for it, was it intuitive or how long did it take? so basically how it works is that it acts like an automatic cruise control that maintains your speed and decelerates when you apply resistance?are there any programming options? so many questions sorry.

Power options for manual chairs are looking really exciting these days. So much potential.