Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I could not see from either of the video's where the power button is located to accelerate without a push. Anyone know where it is?
    The 3rd pic in post #33 shows what looks to be the power button, it would be located at the front, in between your legs when in the chair. I would assume that you would tap the button to turn on/off, and maybe hold it in to accelerate, but I'm only guessing here.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

You would be correct McDuff.

To address sowseng's comment about it having no tire or track. The weight of the unit itself is only 11 lbs. so there is relatively little weight on the drive wheel itself. How the unit is being used will determine how quickly the rubber wears out.

When using push stroke activation, the energy needed to accelerate to a given speed is provided by the push stroke of the user. During this time, the SmartDrive is essentially being pulled along and the user is providing the energy needed to overcome rolling resistance. Once the desired speed is attained, the SmartDrive simply kicks in to provide whatever force is necessary to maintain that speed.

When using push button activation the energy required to overcome rolling resistance and accelerate up to speed is provided by the SmartDrive itself. Instead of being pulled along, the unit is actually pushing the user/wheelchair until the desired speed is obtained. It is logical that there will be more wear on the rubber if it is being used in push button activation mode.

As for sowseng's concern about the lack of tire and track, the drivewheel was designed so that the rollers on the left and right half are offset--giving it sufficient traction for its intended use. The rubber rollers are also designed to be replaced when they wear out.The rubber segments themselves also rotate freely. This is a pretty clever aspect of the design because it allows the user to easily turn their chair in a tight radius with minimal friction between the drive wheel and the ground.

Actually, when the power is off, I notice its presence the most when I am pushing forward. I feel the "bump-bump-bump" of the individual rollers. I would probably keep a small bungee cord to suspend the drive wheel off the ground using my rigidizer bar if I were going someplace where I didn't need to use it, but didn't want to take it completely off. For example rolling a couple of blocks from my house to the bookstore.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 09-23-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Better Pic

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    He's sitting in the unreleased new box frame from Top End, too, isn't he? Sure looks like it.
    Actually that's the never to be released new box frame from Top End. They abandoned it. Too bad, it looked like a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Actually that's the never to be released new box frame from Top End. They abandoned it. Too bad, it looked like a winner.
    Yeah, I was definitely interested. Last I heard from a TE employee, the one managing the process, it was all done except the final paper work with the gub'ment. It's a shame they went another direction, IMO. There seems to be a bit of a box frame renaissance, of sorts. I think they would have sold.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

What is the battery life like?!

Does anybody know if Smartdrive will be at the Abilities Expo in San Jose this year?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Does anybody know if Smartdrive will be at the Abilities Expo in San Jose this year?
    Rick Hayden would know. Heard he now works there.
    Last edited by ABox; 09-28-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Does the drive act as an anti-tipper, or would a user who needs anti-tippers (like me) still need them?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by ABox View Post
    Rick Hayden would know. Heard he now works there.
    I believe he does.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Does the drive act as an anti-tipper, or would a user who needs anti-tippers (like me) still need them?
    No. It must be able to rotate on your camber tube to be able to traverse bumps, jump curbs, and be removed from the mounting clamp, but it shouldn't interfere with existing anti-tippers. Even though it lacks the programmability of e-motion wheels, it may be more-suitable for many users who have ataxia/dysmetria because it uses the overall acceleration/deceleration of the entire chair to determine whether to provide power. Other power assist systems are triggered by effort applied at each pushrim which can result in the uneven application of power. If you can self-propel in a straight path with regular wheels, you will propel in a straight path with the SmarrtDrive.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 09-28-2012 at 08:35 AM.