Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

Quote Originally Posted by pedroentrena View Post
    Hello again. I just changed the broken support, the photo above. The new, with tight screw has a slight lateral movement, is this normal ?. Thank You

Hola de nuevo. me acaban de cambiar el soporte roto, el de la foto de arriba. El nuevo, con el tornillo apretado, tiene un ligero movimiento lateral, ?es normal?. Gracias
    I have one of those adjustable brackets. I think yours needs a little washer or something under the screw head to tighten it up.

Tengo uno de estos soportes. Creo que el suyo hace falta de una arandela debajo de la cabeza del tornillo para ajustarlo.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

smart drive

i have the smart drive for 4 months and rubber on device is wore out , also where the swich plug in has broken twice due to transfer. the unit works great but has not won me over . replacement of rubber rollers expensive and if i have to replace every 4 to 6 months im not going to be happy
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    The SmartDrive is a distinctly different product compared to existing power add-on systems due of its light weight, transportability, ease of installation/removal, and the fact that it the configuration of the wheelchair does not need to be changed to be able to use it.

We are definitely keeping the demo. In fact, I will be requesting additional mounting clamps so that we have the ability to easily use it on multiple chairs in our clinic (two clamps were provided with our demo unit and I intend to keep one on my personal chair).

There is no idle. It is either on or off. It is very quiet when the motor is providing power assist. When the unit is on, the assistance triggered automatically when the drive wheel senses a change in the rate of acceleration (push rim activation) or when the user holds the button on the battery pack in.

This product would not be well suited for that type of application.

Max Mobility specifically states that the SmartDrive should not be used on wet surfaces.

Traction is provided by the weight of the drive unit and the grip of the drive wheel. As a result, it will perform best on paved surfaces with only minor surface irregularities and moderate inclines.

Agreed. While its price is comparable to e-motion M-15 or Quickie Xtender power assist wheels, I agree with you about the current MSRP.

I see this as a product that will be selectively used by the end whenever circumstances warrant. Examples would be occasions where the user expects to encounter significant inclines, self propel over greater distances, expects have toto deal with hotel carpeting, or instances where wrists & shoulders may need to rest.

Given the current reimbursement climate, it may be difficult to get Medicare or private insurance to cover it. The VA will be more-likely to approve it.

I think the SmartDrive will appeal most to end-users who realize that it would improve their quality of life and are willing to pay out of pocket. Unfortunately, the current MSRP puts it beyond the reach of what I feel would be one of the largest segments of its target market.

JamesFr, you ask some valuable questions that I will respond to in a separate post.

Quote Originally Posted by hodad123 View Post
    i have the smart drive for 4 months and rubber on device is wore out , also where the swich plug in has broken twice due to transfer. the unit works great but has not won me over . replacement of rubber rollers expensive and if i have to replace every 4 to 6 months im not going to be happy
    It sounds like you need to unplug before transferring if it gets in your way. The roller wear was an early concern two years ago. Yours is the first mention that I recall since then other than that they are easily consumer replaced. But for the education of the rest of us please tell us what your average daily use is. That is do you commute to work outside a mile each way every day or what? I am an infrequent user, whose SmartDrive mostly only hit concrete pavement between my van and the stores. The rollers on mine are showing almost no wear.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The wear on the rollers was, and is, a big concern of mine. Since mine is funded by vocational rehabilitation, I don't know what happens when parts wear out. I don't know if they cover it or not... Something I need to check into. I'm pretty sure with my vehicle lift at least I'm on my own for 7 years.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I didn't use it much in four months but I did have to replace . I use it on all hard surface , I love the unit but don't think it is something I will use daily just when I need it for long hard locations . I would have went with a different powered assist device today

With the bad things I heard, I decided not to order the Smart Drive. In Canada, I could only get it if I had an aluminum chair ... I'd rather a titanium.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

What difference does aluminum or titanium make in the selection of an add on in Canada?

I have been using a SD for nearly two years now.
    Mine gets used pretty much every day.
    Typically I roll 2 to 3 miles each day with it.

I've had a few issues with it but with each and every one Max-Mobility has provided great support.

As for roller wear I did have some problems last year.
    It was related to excessive side play due to wear (? or maybe just a sloppy bracket) of the universal (adjustable) bracket.
    It had about two inches (+/-) of sideways movement, which in retrospect, I realized that it was enough that the rollers were constantly 'scrubbing' causing the premature wear.

Max-Mobility sent me a new bracket (albeit a different version, I have had three different types) and rollers, and it the eight months since the rollers have held up great.

So check the amount of sideplay that your unit has. (Mine with the new bracket moves about +/- 1/4")
    If it is excessive, then that is what is causing the rollers to wear out prematurely.
    The bracket may be bad or could just be rotated too low (although when that is the case it rattles loudly).

I have also had individual rollers wear quickly when they didn't roll freely.
    Rain or wet conditions can get grit in the bearings which will cause them to stick.
    Or I've had the plastic between the rollers get damaged from gravel or rough surfaces and stop a roller from rolling freely.

Now, I check the rollers frequently, particularly if it's been wet out.
    A shot of WD-40 will free up a bearing with grit in it.
    If the plastic is rubbing, I use a sharp knife to trim it.

The SD has changed my life dramatically and I would not be happy without it.
    To me it is worth the minor problems that I've experienced (even If I had had to pay for parts and service, which I have not).

Good luck getting it sorted, it's worth the effort.
    YMMV
    Jeff
    Doh!

love the unit had it for 6 months . roller wore down quick already replaced rollers . i hope they last longer then six months

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    What difference does aluminum or titanium make in the selection of an add on in Canada?
    It's considered overkill for titanium (easier on the shoulders) AND the Smart Drive at the same time (also easier on shoulders). My work coverage will only follow what the government covers when it comes to medical equipment.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12