Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress covers/toppers to help reduce the chance of pressure sores - Recommendations

I use a sleep number but even though adjustable might be to hard for some..
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

this is what i have i love it

roho prodigy mattress overlay

http://www.therohogroup.com/images/p...d2-prodigy.jpg

mattress/overlay info

i've been turning my c4/c5 husband every 2 hours at night. he's never had a pressure sore in the 15 years we've been married. however, the interrupted sleep is beginning to take its toll on me as i age (i'm now 66).

i'm hoping to convince him that using a low air loss (lal) or pressure reducing (pr) mattress with one turn per night will be as effective as our current 4-5 manual turns on a standard mattress. i've read several clinical studies which indicate that when used with a turn every 4 hours, these mattresses are as effective as frequent manual turns.

i'd like to know if any members of this forum have used an lal/pr mattress with fewer turns and still ended up with a pressure sore.

Overlay

I use a KCI Atmos Air 9000A with pump and never had a problem related to the bed. Tried the KCI First Step Select but had nothing but hardware problems so went back to the Atmos Air. NOT low cost but works very well, they say turn every four hours but I sometimes go all night and see no issues.

Good Luck

The new MA95Z from Invacare is great!!!

Craig Hospital sent hubby home with a Geo Matt (over nearly 4 years ago and I have replaced it twice with good luck) over a regular hospital bed mattress.
    We tried an alternating pressure air overlay reccomended by doc at VA,but bother his neck so back to Geo-Matt. Prices on line vary-look around.
    He is C3 complete.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Most of these covers seem to be for single beds.

Anyone have luck finding covers to fit a regular queen size bed?

All so Roho makes a cover, anyone have experience with this

ROHO® SOFFLEX® 2 Mattress Overlay System

http://www.therohogroup.com/products...ss_overlay.jsp

My mom is a C3-5 incomplete quad, 81, and she's been sleeping on a Select Comfort bed for the ten+ years since her injury with no skin break down. My parents were able to get one of the first SC adjustable beds so that both sides have controls to raise and lower the head and foot part, as well as adjust the air in the mattress. She's put to bed around 7pm, turned once at about 10pm, then sleeps through the night. At first she used a fairly thin pad that went under her that plugged in and created waves of air under her from shoulders to her calves, but now she doesn't use that. The bed was fairly expensive, but they get to sleep together and she's never had pressure sores, and Dad doesn't have to wake up every few hours to turn her.

serta has held up best for me. remember you get what you pay for.

Every two hours! They don't even do that on the Spine Ward anymore. Now it's every three hours. Sorry you haven't had any responses to your question. Personally I've never received a pressure sore from bed; always from sitting up. And I've never done overnight turns. I've always only used alternating air pressure mattresses and Roho overlays.

Quote Originally Posted by chris45 View Post
    i've been turning my c4/c5 husband every 2 hours at night. he's never had a pressure sore in the 15 years we've been married. however, the interrupted sleep is beginning to take its toll on me as i age (i'm now 66).

i'm hoping to convince him that using a low air loss (lal) or pressure reducing (pr) mattress with one turn per night will be as effective as our current 4-5 manual turns on a standard mattress. i've read several clinical studies which indicate that when used with a turn every 4 hours, these mattresses are as effective as frequent manual turns.

i'd like to know if any members of this forum have used an lal/pr mattress with fewer turns and still ended up with a pressure sore.