Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress covers/toppers to help reduce the chance of pressure sores - Recommendations

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Mattress covers/toppers to help reduce the chance of pressure sores - Recommendations

Does anyone have any experience with Mattress covers toppers that are good for reducing the chance of getting a pressure sore while in bed?

I'm thinking more along the line of medical over the feel good fluffy ones.

Make, manufacturer etc.

Recommendations?
    Suggestions ?
    etc.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    no one uses a padded mattress cover?

or they're a waste of time ?

If you are talking about an overlay, there are a few that are helpful, although none that are as good as a medical pressure reducing replacement mattress or a low air loss (LAL) mattress.

Blue eggcrate that is only 1" thick is pretty much 100% ineffective in pressure reduction. A good quality 3-4" memory foam overlay, or a higher density foam overlay such as a Biogard AFT or Geomatt can be helpful, but will only last 3-4 months before they need to be replaced. Static air-filled ones such as those made by Roho or Gaymar (like the Softcare) or EHOB (Waffle) can also be helpful and useful for travel.

Keep in mind that overlays make the mattress higher, which can add to difficult transfers or fall risk.

(KLD)

Check out a real, thick, sheepskin rug.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sheepskin+rug

I know it's not optimal, but my Dad has used a 3" memory foam overlay topper (bought at Costco) since he left the hospital 5 years ago. It was cheap.... at least compared with any of the medical But he always disliked it because it can be hot, and it makes it hard to turn. So he finally asked us to take it off this summer. His mattress is way too firm without it, so I'm not sure yet what we will use to replace the Memory foam.

ive used 2 in serta mem foam topper, works great. 2in is my limit anything more its tricky to roll, dress and move around. like kld said they are only good for 6 mths to a year. i know its time for a new one when i start getting positional ad from my feet being uncomfortable..... no redness or anything anywhere thou. imo, good prevention.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My $.02
    All over-lays don't do much for healing or preventing pressure sores...

Get a high quality air bed.

I have been using a Lumex alternating air mattress overlay ontop of the mattress on my hospital bed, and its been helpful in reducing pressure sores while I sleep. This is especially good, since I sleep on my right side most of the night, due to having a feeding tube on the left side. If you go to www.grahamfield.com, there are pictures of the air mattress overlays as well as full air mattresses.

I also like the Lumex overlay because the motor is not as loud as other brands, so it doesn't keep you up half the night.

Smile

proning which i hate but do anyway for several hrs helps i wish i could get 1 of those quad friendly beds

I use a 3" thick memory foam top.