Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bactrim as long term medication

Very good point TheRainman, flushing a catheter to keep it free of sediment is a good way to prevent infections. Also being on an anti-cholinergic like ditropan or detrol can relax the bladder muscle so that the urine empties better and can also prevent urine from "standing" in your bladder and making a place for bacteria to dwell.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I like to look at other methods of preventing UTIs first before trying a long term low dose antibiotic.
    Nurse does that mean that daily dose of bactrim antibiotic is acceptable?

Also, I was taking ditropan 50 on daily basis, but I had difficulty in inserting the catheter in many times due to spastic sphincter (this happened from 6 months from now) so the doctor told me to stop it temporary,
    And I now don't take it anymore, is it better to resume ditropan? and does it effect the spastic sphincter problem negatively??

Quote Originally Posted by zaid_86 View Post
    Nurse does that mean that daily dose of bactrim antibiotic is acceptable?

Also, I was taking ditropan 50 on daily basis, but I had difficulty in inserting the catheter in many times due to spastic sphincter (this happened from 6 months from now) so the doctor told me to stop it temporary,
    And I now don't take it anymore, is it better to resume ditropan? and does it effect the spastic sphincter problem negatively??
    The usual dose for Ditropan (Oxybutynin) is one 5 milligram (mg) tablet taken two to three times a day (10 to 15 mg). The maximum recommended daily dose is one 5 mg tablet four times a day (20 mg). At 50 mg a day, you were taking far in excess of the maximum dose.

Ditropan is prescribed for urgency, frequency, urinary leakage, urge incontinence, dysuria (painful urination) and related spasms in the bladder. It doesn't work well to relax a spastic sphincter. If you are having trouble getting a catheter in, take a look at your cathing technique. When you are pushing the catheter into the urethra and experience resistance, pull the catheter back a little to give the sphincter a chance to relax, then try pushing in again. You may need to try this several times. Lidocaine jelly is sometimes helpful. Botox injections into the sphincter may be helpful if all else fails.

Have you had urodynamic studies and/or a cystoscopy?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Very good point TheRainman, flushing a catheter to keep it free of sediment is a good way to prevent infections. Also being on an anti-cholinergic like ditropan or detrol can relax the bladder muscle so that the urine empties better and can also prevent urine from "standing" in your bladder and making a place for bacteria to dwell.

pbr
    KLD would disagree with this advice re: flushing.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The usual dose for Ditropan (Oxybutynin) is one 5 milligram (mg) tablet taken two to three times a day (10 to 15 mg). The maximum recommended daily dose is one 5 mg tablet four times a day
    Sorry, I typed it wrong its 5mg per day, and I am having intermediate leakage since I stopped taking ditropan, when I feel urge to go the bathroom, I leak in many cases, with ditropan I was able to reduce the leak frequency (almost stopped)..

If you do intermittant cathing than under most circumstances ditropan or another drug like it will help stop leaking. It is a smooth muscle relaxer and you might want to try 5mg two to three times a day or if you can get Ditropan XL where you live one 10 mg pill a day swallowed whole, no chewing or crushing, should stop leaking. It does cause dry mouth although less so with the newer XL. This will also stop many painful spasms in most cases with utis. But you do need to treat sympyomatic infections.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

ditropan and detrol do not help relax the urethral sphincter. you may want to consider resuming ditropan more for the leaking.

I hope that you have had a cystoscopy to look at the sphincter through the urologist's eyes. If you perform intermittant self catheterization you may want to consider other catheters like the Lofric system where water activates a coating on the catheter and makes it very slick so as to bypass scarring, strictures in the urethra. If all these measures fail your urologist should determine the best course on how to proceed.

pbr

Blog Entries
    I have been on one "preventive" medication after another since my injury. My current doctor says there is no clinical evidence that bactrim does any good, but since I have had a pretty good record with infections he is letting me decide whether or not to stay on it. So far I'm staying with it using the if it ain't broke don't fix it theory.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

TomRL, how much Bactrim do you take daily? And do you do intermittant cathing?

Zaid, you might also ask your doctor about this antibiotic as a long term preventative: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000642/

Use what your doctor suggests for you where you live. But do start back on ditropan to stop any leaking between caths. OK, that's what I'd do but I'm not a doctor or nurse. And drink enough water! The lighter the urine the fewer problems you'll have.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Zaid, you might also ask your doctor about this antibiotic as a long term preventative: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000642/
    This drug is Methenamine (Brand names: Hiprex, Mandelamine, Urex). There has been a lot written on this forum about its use. Zaid, try searching Care Cure Community for information and personal experiences with this medication.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.