Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bactrim as long term medication

Exclamation bactrim as long term medication

I have too frequent UTI in the last two months and half (about 3 times in that period and two hospital admissions),
    today I received results for a new urine culture, my doctor gave me "bactrim" (one full course of it), and he said that to ensure that the UTI won't recurr in high frequency like this, I may continue taking low dose of bactrim daily after that (once before bedtime),

He said that its classified as antiseptic more than anti-biotic,

is it ok to take bactrim medication daily? I heard that the medications have bad effect on the long term especially antibiotics

Bactrim is an antibiotic, taking it as a low dose preventative measure will breed resistant bacteria. I would look into other means of preventing uti's.

Mandelamine or Hiprex or Urex

My doctor told me that Bactrim and Cipro are "Big Bang" drugs and should be used sparingly to avoid drug resistant bacteria later in life.

You may want to switch to an antiseptic drug more like Mandelamine or Hiprex or Urex which belongs to the family of medicines called anti-infectives. It is used to help prevent and treat infections of the urinary tract.

You may want to switch doctors one who graduated in the late 1990's or 2000's who is more up to date with medicines and practices.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

He's wrong about it not being an antibiotic, what a bizarre thing for an actual physician to say. Its a bad idea to take an antibiotic daily because as mentioned here, it just breeds resistant infections. I would up your water consumption and be sure your cathing technique is clean.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zaid_86 View Post
    I have too frequent UTI in the last two months and half (about 3 times in that period and two hospital admissions),
    today I received results for a new urine culture, my doctor gave me "bactrim" (one full course of it), and he said that to ensure that the UTI won't recurr in high frequency like this, I may continue taking low dose of bactrim daily after that (once before bedtime),

He said that its classified as antiseptic more than anti-biotic,

is it ok to take bactrim medication daily? I heard that the medications have bad effect on the long term especially antibiotics
    It isn't good practice to take any antibiotic prophylactically. Antibiotics should be used only when needed to help prevent against antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I made a phrase in your initial post bold. What does your doctor consider a "full course" of antibiotics? For people with neurogenic bladders and urinary tract infections, antibiotics should be administered for at least 10 days rather than the 5-7 days that is typically given to people without extenuating bladder complications.

All the best,
    GJ

I've taken almost every drug known to man. Bactrim is the only one to which I've ever developed an allergy. Big, ugly hives.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

You sure he didn't say macrobid ? my uro had me on a low dose 50 mg at night for a long time till I read KLD's post on long term use like this and questioned him. Bactrim is a heavy weight drug.
    DIGG.

Zaid, Do you know what bacteria is or bacterias are causing your utis? Are you washing your hands/body and equipment well before catherizing? If all your utis come from 1 type of bacteria your doctor may be able to help you find the cause. While we tend to get used to some local bacteria in our drinking water over time so it may not effect our stomach or intestinal tract; when it comes to those same bacteria being pushed into our bladders by a catheter infections often occur. If your doctor finds the same bacteria is causing the utis he can probably tell you where to get a sample of your home's water tested. Yes, this happens all over the developed world for many reasons. If the infections are from different bacteria each time then you might want to have a nurse come to your home and watch how you cath. Often we don't even know we've started doing something just a little different that an expert will see.
    Are you getting bladder testing and kidney scans every year or two? Do you take any medications to help with bladder spasms such as Ditropan/oxybutynin chloride? I am assuming you do intermittant cathing yourself? What level injury do you have? About taking an antibiotic daily... I did that early on with nitrofuratoin and quit when suddenly my finger tips went numb. All antibiotics have side effects but they become worse over time. I know when I lived in Europe most antibiotics were given in one very large dose in one day or over 3 days. For people who have neurogenic bladders it is best to take antibiotics only once you know which one will kill the type of infection/bacteria you have and over 7 to 14 days so no "bugs" hide in the kidneys or bladder and come back right after you stop a shorter course of antibiotics. And many doctors call sulfa based antibiotics antiseptics these days. They are the same thing just made to work differently. The site below will give you an idea of the side effects that Bactrim can cause and while rare they become more common the longer you take them even in small doses.

http://www.medicinenet.com/sulfameth...al/article.htm
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I like to look at other methods of preventing UTIs first before trying a long term low dose antibiotic. Like changing the indwelling catheters more often, trying Vit C, cranberry tabs or D Mannose all to prevent infections.

pbr

I was in your same shoe's for years when I started wearing a indwelling cath.. I was getting infections every month even taking bactrim dailey. I also had problems with cloggings. And little over a year ago I figure out by flushing the catherter twice a day, morning and night I cleared it up. Had one infection this year. By removing that sentiment from laying in my bladder did the trick.