Thread: UTI spasms and pain worse after antibiotic

UTI spasms and pain worse after antibiotic

I had a UTI again and thought I was slowly killing it on my own but went to Dr. Anyways
    He rx Levaquin because that's what worked before and a Flagyl prophylaxis because I've had C. Diff recently.

Since starting, my spasms have gotten so bad they're uncontrallable with 60 mg baclofen , 32 mg of zanaflex and lots of marijuana. And my neuropathic pain is 10x worse.

Anyone have suggestions? Can I do the vetericyn bladder flush without the VF version?
    Iz that to treat or prevent?

Jasono

You can use Vetericyn, Microsyn or Puracyn anytime. You may need to use it a couple of times a day for several days if the uti is severe...less for prevention.

Good luck.

][SIZE=[FONT=
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Did the doctor collect a urine specimen FIRST for C&S?? Did you call back to get the results?? The Levaquin may not have been the right antibiotic, esp. if you have been on it before.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did the doctor collect a urine specimen FIRST for C&S?? Did you call back to get the results?? The Levaquin may not have been the right antibiotic, esp. if you have been on it before.

(KLD)
    They sent off for C&S but prescribed the antibiotic based on history.

I want to stop the Levaquin but stay on Flagyl to make sure the Levaquin doesn't csuse C. Diff again. And wait for the call to say which antibiotic.

This pain is nuts..everytime I think I'm in the clear something else happens.

At 72 hours after collection of the C&S the final results are available. You should call the office to be sure the results have been checked and you don't need a different antibiotic. This should be your routine whenever getting any antibiotic.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    At 72 hours after collection of the C&S the final results are available. You should call the office to be sure the results have been checked and you don't need a different antibiotic. This should be your routine whenever getting any antibiotic.

(KLD)

Doc called and said it was sensitive to the Levaquin but levaquin seemed to make it worse .

It's a 10 day course.. shouldnt the bug be killed at this point? Why dId my spasms get super crazy while taking levaquin?

It's pseudomonas bacteria. Is this bad??

What is important about the bacteria that has appeared is whether it is sensitive to an oral antibiotic. I have had patients also state that certain antibiotics make them feel worse especially with Nitrofurantoin which can cause reactions if taken long term. Levaquin and ciprofloxacin can cause joint aches and damage if taken long term. If you feel that Levaquin if causing a reaction you should notifiy your provider and report the specific symptoms. You could be having a reaction and it should be listed on your allergy profile.

Sadly, if this is the only oral antibiotic the bacteria is sensitive to, you are having significant symptoms related to this UTI, then your only option may be an IV antibiotic and infectious disease should consult.

Good Luck Keep us posted.

pbr