Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why i show no interest in esc

amazing how so many twist up my words then attack...NEWAY.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

DA, it is fine if you are not interested in ESC research. I am surprised, however, that you are condoning an administration that not only obstructed embryonic stem cell research and did not support spinal cord injury clinical trials in the past three years but appears unlikely to do so in the next four years.
    not condoning. btw, there has never been a president interested in curing sci. lets just not blame bush, blame them all. i dont expect any future presidents to care. doctors still preach no cure ever. we are alone in this fight and the sooner we realize this, the sooner we will get a cure.

The critical path is becoming clear.
    exactly. now wake up to the possibility that esc will not be availible. move on.

The first step of that path is to have a source of cells that will do the job of bridging the injury site. I hope that adult OEG cells will do the job. If not, fetal OEG cells would be my next choice.
    what about the man made gels?

DA,

It is unfortunate that you don't believe that our government can do anything for spinal cord injury. The U.S. government supports billions of dollars of research and clinical trials for many diseases and conditions. Why should they not do so for spinal cord injury? Why are you not willing to fight this? Why do you support a President whose record of the last four years indicates that he does not support spinal cord injury research or embryonic stem cell research.

Wise.

The gov't does not place any priority in spinal cord injury (and ESC) research because of sentiments/positions such as DA's who give AUTHORITY for gov't to do NOTHING, or at most very minimally.

However, this is not limited to SCI research.

DA I was hoping your argument against ESC was scientific. You have been alluding to the idea that a full cure is on the way and is very close. I thought you might reveal that. I think that it is obvious that ASC are less controversial and would be a easier fight, but I still don't understand you aversion to ESC when there is a possibility to get funding through electing Kerry.

The way this group is in disagreement, you could expect the same results a political party would face if it was polarized. ASC vs ESC, Care vs Cure, Para vs Quad. Look at what this group did to a well meaning parent. It is shameful. You are your own worst enemies. Maybe there is a way to solve this by not alienating differing beliefs. Perhaps giving some credence to negatives of unquestioned abortions by showing some support for the right to life would ease their attack on stem cell research. Perhaps acknowledging some care issues might welcome some families into advocating for a cure. You are not going to have full support when you attack well meaning people. Saying I could give 2 shits about wheelchair sports while I can't move my arm does not help the cause. Saying if you want wheelchair rec, do it on your own only suggests you should do cure funding on your own. You people don't get it. I have been told listen to what they are saying, I have, and I think if you see the whole picture although it might be hard you will get further. I am not a troll, I am a parent of a son with sci, he is not a quad, but a para, is it alright if we include what would be beneficial for him to be apart of discussions? I hope so. And, don't count on Kerry or Bush or that one will solve the problem and the other won't. It takes you out of the equation. Support all SCI issues and attract a larger base, no matter who is president.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

DA,

It is unfortunate that you don't believe that our government can do anything for spinal cord injury. The U.S. government supports billions of dollars of research and clinical trials for many diseases and conditions. Why should they not do so for spinal cord injury? Why are you not willing to fight this? Why do you support a President whose record of the last four years indicates that he does not support spinal cord injury research or embryonic stem cell research.

Wise.
    dr young stop twisting up my words to give dumb clucks like chick weapons. i never said that and i dont like how you are twisting up my words. government can do everything for sci. I SAID GOVERNMENT HAS DONE LITTLE TO NOTHING FOR SCI IN THE PAST, PRESENT AND MOST LIKELY FUTURE. a big difference between your words "It is unfortunate that you don't believe that our government can do anything for spinal cord injury."

Why should they not do so for spinal cord injury?
    they should. be we arent the popular group. the city of san francisco spend more money on homeless then all usa on sci research. our own sci community fights against cure. we will never be on the governments favorites list. real world dr young.

Why are you not willing to fight this?
    for esc? i told you a million times. ITS A BIG WAR, AN UNWINNINGABLE WAR, A GAMBLE...kerry is not promised to win. dr young you may have all the time in the world, but i dont. i dont have that luxury. when bush restricted esc, researchers should have dropped esc and picked up asc, INSTEAD OF CRYING IN SPILLED MILK FOR 3 YEARS. what have your crying accomplished the last 3 years? nothing. just as bad as bush. kerry most likely will lose in nov. SO WE WASTED 3 YEARS. 3 YEARS CRYING INSTEAD OF GOING AROUND THE PROBLEM.

Why do you support a President whose record of the last four years indicates that he does not support spinal cord injury research or embryonic stem cell research.
    again, i have answered this 50 million times. go look it up.

Originally posted by chastev8:

DA I was hoping your argument against ESC was scientific. You have been alluding to the idea that a full cure is on the way and is very close. I thought you might reveal that. I think that it is obvious that ASC are less controversial and would be a easier fight, but I still don't understand you aversion to ESC when there is a possibility to get funding through electing Kerry.
    im not against esc. im for anything to cure sci. i hate paralysis. i said in the first post that i believe esc could help cure sci. ofcourse many choose to ignore that so to make me the villain to cover up the truth that i am right. for the past 3 years nothing but bitching about bush esc. wasted because nothing has changed and kerry is losing. if bush wins again, then what?
    4 more years of bitching and no progress. get mad at DA for not wanting to play your stupid bullshit game of stop research until esc is free. all im saying is use asc because it could be a long time if any for federal funding of esc. states are free to research esc. but you notice little attention to that fact. little attention to california putting up billions for esc. little attention for sci breakthroughs. why? because politics is more important then cure.

DA, you've got some great points. I tend to agree w/ you here. Politics can definitely get in the way, but funding through the government is NOT our only hope.

And, don't count on Kerry or Bush or that one will solve the problem and the other won't.
    EXACTLY. but now you are the bad guy for saying that. it seem our members and researchers are willing to hold back a cure
    until they get the blessings of bush or kerry.
    until we solve the abortion debate.
    until we, sci community, is richer then bill gates.

no other group has to solve all the worlds problems for a cure.

DA, I disagree. In my opinion, President Bush has done more to obstruct spinal cord injury research and clinical trials than any president. I can understand that you want to support him for other reasons but please don't excuse his policies on embryonic stem cell research and spinal cord injury clinical trials.

The Federal government spends $2 billion on cancer clinical trials and research, $2 billion on aids research, hundreds of millions on other diseases. Why not on spinal cord injury?

I can even understand if you opposed embryonic stem cell research but you don't. You say that you want spinal cord injury research but you are willing to support a president who has not supported such research. You know that abortion has nothing to do with embryonic stem cell research and yet you spout it. This is a President who proposed to give $1 billion to fund abstinence programs in high schools but not $300 million for clinical research to reverse paralysis. Please, if you are not willing to hold the man's feet to the fire over these issues, then please stop complaining about the lack of clinical trials in the United States.

Wise.