Thread: Handbike visibility flag

Handbike visibility flag

I have a new, awesome visibility flag.

It's a flag on a collapsable carbon fiber pole with a reflector and light on top. It's made by a company in Virginia called Yak Attack and it's made for kayaks - for fisherman to be seen at night by other boats.

I really wanted a visability flag with a light for night riding in the streets and this is a great solution. I had to make special, custom arrangements with the company because of the kayak mounting hardware that normally comes with it. Instead of the kayak mount, I replaced it with an extra length of pole.

Now, this pole is larger than the diameter of the standard bike flag pole. I took my bike frame to a welder and he attached a new, larger receptacle for the pole and it only cost me $25 to do.

It comes with a flag, but I think the pom-poms are a nice touch and attract a little more attention.

The whole thing cost just under $100. That's expensive, but I feel so much better knowing I have a light and reflector 4.5 feet in the air moving around as I bike. There's no way you can't see me.

There is a $60 version with a fiberglass pole, but If I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a flag I want to be able to secure it by taking it with me when I arrive at my destination. Since a 4' pole is a bit cumbersome to carry around I opted for the more expensive, collapsable model. It's a cinch to disassemble and pack.

If you're interested, this is their website. It's called a VISI-POLE. Call them and ask for Luther. He's cool.

http://www.yakattack.us/Products/VISICarbonPro.html

I have sort of the same setup on my handcycle, but it only cost about $8.00! Energizer sells a flashlight that looks like a glow stick. You can find them in Home Depot or Lowes. Comes in blue, green, and red. You can have it flash, or stay solid in color. I use the green and it shows up pretty well at night in conjunction with a red led flasher. (My neighbor said I look like a rolling Christmas tree!)

I adhered it to the existing orange flag pole using a piece of clear packing tape, and wrapped it around the "glow stick" part that way I could twist off the top to change the battery.
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

That's pretty cool - way to be resourceful.

I still like mine better.