Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minivan info

if your a quad and still use a manual chair, i would definately go with the extended fold out ramp, mine is in the floor and i like it, but i can't get any of my quad friends in it without me grabbing their front bar and pulling them in.......

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie2130 View Post
    Do you have the Braun Entervan XT package that raises the entrance and interior ceiling several inches? I'm not nearly that tall, but I do sit up about 53" from the ground. Some dealers have said I might need the XT.
    I do not have the "XT" package. Driving from your chair, you have to make sure your legs will clear the hand controls. I have a chair that elevates and I have to lower it all the way down to drive and elevate to clear the Sure-Lock device. You'll need someone knowledgeable in this field or you'll need to see and test one yourself to see if you are below them. Also, your eyes should not be higher than the inside rear-view mirror.

I hope this helps and good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I found this buyers guide in PDF format, and thought many would find it interesting. It has comprehensive comparison charts of the various van conversions, availability of brands converted and how each conversion package impacts specifications like entry height, interior height, interior width, floor space etc.

All the best,
    GJ

Johnnie,
    I emailed you my daughters email address. She works for United Access in marketing development in their Dallas branch. Tell her I told you to contact her. She knows all the equipment and vans and what is good and what is not. She will help you out. Let me know if you did not get the address.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    Johnnie,
    I emailed you my daughters email address. She works for United Access in marketing development in their Dallas branch. Tell her I told you to contact her. She knows all the equipment and vans and what is good and what is not. She will help you out. Let me know if you did not get the address.
    I did get the address. I'll e-mail her probably tomorrow. Thanks for the address and info!

I looked at a 2012 Toyota Sienna the other day. It was really nice but the length of my chair from front to back wouldn't let me turn around to a forward position with both seats in place. I have an Invacare Storm series power chair. Are the Toyotas shorter in the center area? Any suggestions on how to shorten the length of my chair?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie2130 View Post
    I looked at a 2012 Toyota Sienna the other day. It was really nice but the length of my chair from front to back wouldn't let me turn around to a forward position with both seats in place. I have an Invacare Storm series power chair. Are the Toyotas shorter in the center area? Any suggestions on how to shorten the length of my chair?
    Did you back in and there wasn't enough room to spin 90ยบ to face forward?

Why not remove the passengers seat and ride in the passengers front position?

A VMI Honda Nothstar conversion may offer you more room depending on your chair and the height of your foot rests.

As i understand it the VMI Toyota Northstar conversion offers more room than the Braun, but you wont see one of those for another month or so.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I went it forward with both front seats still in. I'll have someone else riding in both front seats at times, so I'll need to be able to fit in the middle. I couldn't turn completely forward. The ends of my shoes hit the driver's seat. I really like the Sienna though.

Did you check out the specs for this in the buyers guide I posted? According to the specs there is quite a difference in the Interior Floor Length-IFL (behind the front seats) between the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and the Dodge/Chrysler vehicles depending on the conversion.

For instance:

Honda Odyssey
    VMI Summit side entry/fold out ramp conversion has 61.75 inches of IFL behind the front seats as does the VMI Northstar side entry/in floor ramp.
    BraunAbility side entry/fold out ramp conversion has 57 inches IFL behind the front seats.

Toyota Sienna
    Braun Rampvan XT, side entry/fold-out ramp has 51 inches IFL behind the front seats.
    Braun Rampvan X1, side entry/in-floor ramp has 45 inches IFL behind the front seats.

Those dimensions vary considerably and may make a difference in being able to use a van the way you need to.

All the best,
    GJ

I did look at the numbers, but I didn't look at Honda's numbers. I'll go back and compare them to the Dodge and Chryslers.