Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attaching chair to handbike!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    That's crazy.

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Do you mean the bolts on the axle plate or the bolt at the end of the axle itself?

How come you tow your chair when you mow? Aren't you heading back to the garage when you're done? Why not just leave the chair there?
    where you incert your axel to the axel plate there is a nut on each side so you can adjust yor wheels forward or backward. I keep having to tighten the outside nut and was wondering if that was a common problem on the chair, quickie gpv right?

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    where you incert your axel to the axel plate there is a nut on each side so you can adjust yor wheels forward or backward. I keep having to tighten the outside nut and was wondering if that was a common problem on the chair, quickie gpv right?
    You mean the axle sleeve nuts.
    If you have a pipe wrench, use that. You'll need the longer handle for serious torque. If you don't, go to your local hardware store (not Home Depot - I mean your local ACE or TrueValue branch) and ask them to tighten it for you. They should have a workshop in their basement where they have all sorts of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    That looks fine, but I'm not gonna spend $500 on a freewheel I don't need when I can do the same job for $50. I'll bet My395's system cost about $50, too.
    Last edited by brian; 09-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.

You mean the axle sleeve nuts.

That looks fine, but I'm not gonna spend $500 on a freewheel I don't need when I can do the same job for $50. I'll bet My395's system cost about $50, too.
    Mine was $80 for the parts.... that I attached to the $500 freewheel But I use and need the freewheel often enough so it works great all around for me.

I'm glad to see people coming up with ways to do this.

I want to go on a cycle camping trip with my setup. Sleeping bag, tent...
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Don't worry about my response to Baldfatdad. However you make it work is great. If I had that rear bumper thing I'd probably do it exactly like you.
    I agree about its awesomeness. I can't believe I've had the bike for 20 years and not done this. I would have had thousands more miles on it if I figured out a system earlier.
    How long is your commute?
    No problem, all is good.

I have changed my setup since I took the pic and now have some bicycle trailer hitch parts making the connection. So it is not tilted up has high. Don't really notice the camber being an issue and have had very little or no abnormal wear.

My commute is about 7 miles round trip. With some hills, it is a great to start and end to the day. I'm am more awake and productive in the morning and get rid of the stresses on the way home.

I would be screwed if I got into certain situations such as having to do a multi-point turn in a tight place. But I live in a rural area and have an ideal commute.

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Mine was $80 for the parts.... that I attached to the $500 freewheel
    Touche.

My commute is about 7 miles round trip. With some hills, it is a great to start and end to the day. I'm am more awake and productive in the morning and get rid of the stresses on the way home.
    Yeah. I didn't think I'd like the morning ride, but it's my favorite part of the day. Less cars, crisp air, light of dawn. I live in an urban area and Minneapolis is, like, the #2 ranked bike-friendly city, so biking to work feels like a community. You see the same people every day, other riders say 'good morning' as they pass, etc.

It's cool.

[QUOTE=brian;1588893]You mean the axle sleeve nuts.
    If you have a pipe wrench, use that. You'll need the longer handle for serious torque. If you don't, go to your local hardware store (not Home Depot - I mean your local ACE or TrueValue branch) and ask them to tighten it for you. They should have a workshop in their basement where they have all sorts of tools.

If you tighten too much, it'll squeeze the axel so it won't go in or out. If you do tighten too much, just back off a little til it moves in an out (axel).

Touche.

Yeah. I didn't think I'd like the morning ride, but it's my favorite part of the day. Less cars, crisp air, light of dawn. I live in an urban area and Minneapolis is, like, the #2 ranked bike-friendly city, so biking to work feels like a community. You see the same people every day, other riders say 'good morning' as they pass, etc.

It's cool.
    ^^^^ like

Nice job, Brian.

I highly recommend people try this or some other way to take your wheelchair with with you when you handcycle. It is awesome. I am towing mine now and commute 3-4 days a week to work. Love it. Attached is a pic.
    I have done it like you a few times too, i attach my wheelchair footrest to the handbike back bumper bar with that thing of the pic, i don`t know his name in english.

I love the last bikes and it makes me thing of the classic times..lol
    Best buy cheap nike shoes online at nike shoes on sale store.