Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids asking about your injury

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    I usually tell the smaller ones that ask that God made everyone different and that he just wanted me sitting down and that it would be boring if everyone in the world was the same. For the older kids I actually tell them why i am the way i am. If i catch a child staring i always make a point to speak to them, smile at them, or even talk to them i dont want kids afraid of the wheelchair or affraid of things that are different.
    I love your answer. I don't believe in god but to tell them we are all different is such a good answer.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I go into a fourth grade classroom once a year to talk about me and why I use this wheelchair. I just can't stay out of the schools-a former elementary teacher. I coach volleyball and track now and I have found that I would rather be in the school with these kids than shopping, etc. with adults. The rude kids-I just run over their toes-LOL.

I'll be in an elevator at the mall or some place like that and I'll hear a young one quietly ask his mom or dad "why is he in that thing?", I usually make eye contact with the kid and say "I didn't listen to my mommy and daddy." Exchanging a quick glance with the parent I always leave with the same phrase - "you've got to play safe, child."

The other one is the 9-10 year olds who think my wheelchair is "cool" when I'm waiting on a coffee or in line at a store doing stationary one-handed wheelies. I look at them and reply matter-of-factly "walking is way cooler."

My absolute favorite is babies. They lock eyes and don't give a shit about my goddamn wheelchair. Cheers me up every time, but still makes me miss my momma.

Tooley, Interesting you mentioned the babies locking eyes with you as the same thing happens with Dave and he gets a kick out of it.
    When smaller kids stare he says hi to them or if he does not have a voice that day winks.
    Older kids might ask how he is "driving that thing" and he shows how he can tilt back and turn around.
    Once during a wait at the clinic he had long visit with a boy of about 9 that had (terrible) fresh scars on his face and a drooping eye.
    He asked Dave what happened and then the boy told him about being attacked by a dog with all of the details. The boy said "I guess weird things just happened to us didn't they?"
    His Mom looked mortified at first when he was grilling Dave, but told me as they left that he never talks about it.

I find the unrestrained way that kids ask direct questions really refreshing. They are interested so I answer honestly to (almost) anything they ask but I make sure I am smiling as I do it. Sometimes they just ask "Can I have a go in your chair?" but they are always understanding when I explain that that they could if it was possible for me to stand up and get out of it.
    Next time I see them they frequntly ask "Aren't you better yet?"

I just say I hurt my back. Substitute owie for hurt depending on how old the child is.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I wrote this on my blog quite some time ago. I hope it's germane to your question.

β€œHEY! WHY DO YOU HAVE THAT WHEELCHAIR?”

https://jenlongdon.wordpress.com/201...es-of-a-child/
    A great piece Jen. Well worth the share

I got the answer from a kid about 3 years old. He walked up to me. Eye balled my stuff and said "Nice stroller mister" I've been telling kids that ever since.

I was on a hike in the Trailrider and a kid said: "Look dad, he's got a hike bike!"

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I got the answer from a kid about 3 years old. He walked up to me. Eye balled my stuff and said "Nice stroller mister" I've been telling kids that ever since.
    I got that one too! Minus the Mister :-)
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.