Thread: Name of FL law that pays...

Name of FL law that pays...

Hello,

I am writing to you with partial information. Please forgive me for that. I seek anybody who knows about this program in Florida or perhaps in other states. I will describe the program below to the best of my ability alone with my partial knowledge. Apportion knowledge came from a person, AB, who had a parent living in Florida and who was an R.N. in New York.

The program is as follows:

A person is paid by the state to either live in or look in upon a small house set up like a residence with up to four disabled people. Has anybody heard of this program? I know it does exist but I do not know the name of the program. It sounds like an opportunity for me, C5 quad, to set up a situation whereby I might live in a non-nursing home residence and yet maintain some semblance of privacy.

Anybody who knows of this program in Florida by name please share that with me. I plan on moving to Florida soon and would like to set my affairs in a certain order. I have other plans as well to set up a business but we shall see who wins the election. A Romney election would favor a corporate status however the opposite would not. Such is the world we live in.

At any rate, if anyone knows the name of such a program in their own state please inform me as well. Perhaps that name or a similar name is used in Florida.

Please forgive my partial knowledge. I seek information and will share information.

Peter
    Futurewalker

Some VA hospitals have something called a Medical Foster Home, which involves a family who takes in a disabled Veteran, provides them board and room, and usually some level of personal care as well, for which they are paid. This is the only type of program that I am aware of, so if you are not a veteran, it would not apply to you. We don't have it in my area, as the reimbursement is set nationally (not adjusted for locality) and no one in Southern California will sign up for the program for that small amount.

In California, it is very difficult to set up group homes like this for people with physical disabilities, chronic illnesses, or even with DD, as the state has requirements to have a licensed nurse in the home if there are more than 3 unrelated people living there who receive care from either the home owner or other attendants. One exception to this is New Start Homes in the San Fernando Valley, which was set up under a special license granted by the state in the 1980s. It was supposed to be a pilot project, but there were never any other places like this given the exemption that i am aware of.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Accessible Space Incorporated (ASI) has supported independent living in Minnesota. I also know that they have accessible facilities in several other states but don't know about the arrangement for PCA/nursing care outside of Minnesota. Here they bill under the PCA program through Medicaid.

try florida brain and spinal cord...assistance with supplies, aides, & skilled nursing. 850-245-4444 good luck !!
    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kelpa123 View Post
    Accessible Space Incorporated (ASI) has supported independent living in Minnesota. I also know that they have accessible facilities in several other states but don't know about the arrangement for PCA/nursing care outside of Minnesota. Here they bill under the PCA program through Medicaid.
    We (housing non-profit) partnered with ASI here in Virginia and initially built two twenty-five unit buildings. They are good people and run first rate programs, imho. There are now at least 3 ASI projects throughout the state. ASI could not negotiate a workable rate with Medicaid for PCA services ( the south has low reimbursement rates) so there are only housing services but great access and well maintained buildings. Thanks to the work of advocates Virginia has a couple good consumer directed programs, including CD Medicaid waivers so residents who need and qualify can go that route.

I don't think it is the only viable housing model for people with disabilities but it has a place on the continuum of options. ( or lack of housing / care options!)

Here is a link to ASI housing services in several states:
    http://www.accessiblespace.org/housi...s/housing.aspx

It appears there are only Four (4) states that have partnered with Medicaid & ASI to provide PA services, here's a drop down list of housing and services in those states :
    http://www.accessiblespace.org/servi.../services.aspx

Future, here are some links with info re Florida's "Consumer Directed Care Plus" program. It looks like it is a Medicaid waiver for consumer directed personal assistance programs. State budgets and availability might be a factor but there are some 800 info numbers that might be worth trying to seek info.

http://apd.myflorida.com/cdcplus/

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/demo/Brai...icaidhome.html

Banned
    In South Florida, there are some group homes for the mentally challenged called JARC. You might want to find out what law they were built under.